What's new
What's new

New machine enthusiast - First South Bend lathe

garretsondr

Plastic
Hello all, I just wanted to say I am excited to start learning more about this fantastic skill set. I have been reading about these machines for a while, and recently picked up my first lathe! I am hoping someone can give me a bit of insight. It has 9in parts, but is a 10in? The tail stock and head stock are on risers, and the cross slide is much taller than pictures I have seen.

Thank you!

Here is my "new" lathe My lathe - Album on Imgur

Welcome to Practical Machinist. Your link to Imgur is broken, so we cannot see anything.
Just guessing, but it may be called a "light 10" which is the nickname for the 10k. It mirrors a 9a just with an extra inch of swing. Try fixing your link so we can see for sure.

Welcome to Practical Machinist. Your link to Imgur is broken, so we cannot see anything.
Just guessing, but it may be called a "light 10" which is the nickname for the 10k. It mirrors a 9a just with an extra inch of swing. Try fixing your link so we can see for sure.

Sorry about the link. I am new to the forum space. Made it public, so it should be good to go now. Thank you for the info!

5gQqfXo.jpg

wVOP3W8.jpg

uEAFjKr.jpg

vENE4dh.jpg

3pnRWRZ.jpg

Last edited:
That is a 9C with ricer blocks. That gives about an 11" swing. That's the firstActual riser blocks That I have seen on a 9N machine. And it looks like it's in good shape. But we all know how looks can be deceiving. The proof is in how the machine performs. Great find, Congratulations. Oil it up, make sure everything Moves freely, Before you use it.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Back