Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't violate any rules in the terms and conditions to sign up for this site. I don't need you to allow me to do anything here. It wasn't me that came out swinging, now was it?

I'd suggest you go get your own lathe before you pass judgement. Start your own thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your gear end looks just like mine and mine has the "single banjo." Don't worry about it. You've got all the equipment you need to do threading--except maybe a threading dial but you don't really have to have that either. It's just more convenient. There are some folks making 3D printed threading dials so that would be a less expensive solution for you but as I said, you can thread without one.

Read the "How to run a lathe" book!

3. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And pay no attention to the big voice behind the curtain. Some folks just get their drawers all drawn up into a wedgie from time to time. I think your post is legitimate and correct.

5. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oildrips View Post
    I didn't violate any rules in the terms and conditions to sign up for this site. I don't need you to allow me to do anything here. It wasn't me that came out swinging, now was it?

I'd suggest you go get your own lathe before you pass judgement. Start your own thread.
    I don't need to buy my own lathe scooter. And I'm not giving you permission for anything. This site is for professional machinists.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny you said 'Well, this is the antique section of the site not the cobbled together shitbox southbend 9" section.'. Well, its not the antique section of the site. It is in fact the south bend lathe section. My lathe is still an antique regardless, so I'm in the right place. And, you don't even have a shitbox southbend 9, so why are you here again?

Just admit it. You are jealous of my wooden pulley. If you really want it, ask nicely and you can have it. Send me your address and I'll ship it out with a bottle of maple syrup and a small bag of ketchup chips when the replacement arrives.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny you said 'Well, this is the antique section of the site not the cobbled together shitbox southbend 9" section.'. Well, its not the antique section of the site. It is in fact the south bend lathe section. My lathe is still an antique regardless, so I'm in the right place. And, you don't even have a shitbox southbend 9, so why are you here again?

Just admit it. You are jealous of my wooden pulley. If you really want it, ask nicely and you can have it. Send me your address and I'll ship it out with a bottle of maple syrup and a small bag of ketchup chips when the replacement arrives.
    If you throw in some tobasco I'll make the admission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

may i pweeez have your wood pulley?....pwetie pweeez?

make my chips bbq.

ps- not even close to the first wood pulley ive seen.

10. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    It's not about being a better person, really, I dont even own a machine save for a small Lincoln mig welder. It the premise of this site. I'm all for allowing anyone who wants to learn on this site, there are some that will right tooth and neck to keep them off here. Its not about the machine... unfortunately to some it is. But when it comes down to stuff that's not rigged it strikes a cord.

I welcome you to learn as much as possible here.
    Actually, it is about the machine, And those who want to keep them out of the scrapyard.

The premise of this group is to help people learn, And to get their machine running correctly. That's how he received it, and he wants to fix it. So let's help him fix it, instead of criticizing him.

And by the way, if you do not have a South Bend lathe, you should read And learn, instead of criticizing someone. He seems to be doing more than you are in this respect. Most of the new Members that purchase a South Bend lathe, find out that they are in pretty sad shape. But with help from members of this forum, they bring the machines back to life. And learn how to use them.

We have had a lot of trolls pop up on this group just to criticize people. Don't be one of them. All the others have been banned from the group.

Stay safe and have fun. Joe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by promacjoe View Post
    Actually, it is about the machine, And those who want to keep them out of the scrapyard.

The premise of this group is to help people learn, And to get their machine running correctly. That's how he received it, and he wants to fix it. So let's help him fix it, instead of criticizing him.

And by the way, if you do not have a South Bend lathe, you should read And learn, instead of criticizing someone. He seems to be doing more than you are in this respect. Most of the new Members that purchase a South Bend lathe, find out that they are in pretty sad shape. But with help from members of this forum, they bring the machines back to life. And learn how to use them.

We have had a lot of trolls pop up on this group just to criticize people. Don't be one of them. All the others have been banned from the group.

Stay safe and have fun. Joe.
    As said earlier I learned on a southbend 9. It was ok maintained but I brought it to well maintained. It was good for small stuff. It didn't have any wooden parts though

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check here for the serial number...

inkedi-5180.jpg

14. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe21 View Post

inkedi-5180.jpg
    And I am sure you had a lot of problems with your machine when you first got it. It took you time to fix your machine, give him a chance to fix his before you start criticizing him. Be supportive, not a troll.

16. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, this totally slipped my mind last night and I forgot to look. But, I did find this picture of the threading chart that's on my lathe. I'm fairly certain I only have the one compound gear for the idler but I'll verify tonight.
    screen-shot-2015-12-12-3.28.48-pm.jpg

18. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe21 View Post

inkedi-5180.jpg

Hi there. It looks like the rail was replaced on my lathe. The serial number is missing from this spot. Does it exist anywhere else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the serials on older machines are often very faint and can be difficult to see.
    gently clean the area and look closely.....it might still be there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there. It looks like the rail was replaced on my lathe. The serial number is missing from this spot. Does it exist anywhere else?
    There is no way to replace 1 way (proper name is way, not rail), it is possible to swap out the whole bed, but even then it would have a S#, unless its been re-ground at some point in time. Clean it up and look closely, if its not there its not the end of the world, just use it.

22. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I am sure you had a lot of problems with your machine when you first got it. It took you time to fix your machine, give him a chance to fix his before you start criticizing him. Be supportive, not a troll.

24. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a 3D printed metric transposing gear set: SOUTH BEND 9/10K METAL LATHE METRIC TRANSPOSING CHANGE GEAR SET 3D Printed | eBay.

PM is a 'Professional Machinist Forum' but the South Bend sub forum is supposed to be a bit less up tight. Many beginners here trying to get their machines going. Not many 'professionals' are using SB's anymore to make money!

John

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. Would the gears in the post be all I needed to get started with metric threads, or is there a full stack like the ones that came with the lathe?

I actually didn't buy the lathe to make any money. As one of the few people to do what I do in Western Canada (build/rebuild aircooled VW engines as a hobby), I figured it was better to volunteer my time and teach people how to do it themselves rather than charge them money to do it for them. The logic being-give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Teach a person to fish, and the eat for life. They need to have some pride in doing the work themselves with some guidance. There are few feelings like the fear of the 20 minutes of terror breaking in a new engine, and the sense of accomplishment when its done.

Depending on the build/how radical they want to go, the need arises to clearance some of the parts. I've been using various machine shops to do it, but realized that I can learn to do it and save everyone a bit of money by doing it myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you can totally cut almost metric threads on a change gear imperial lathe. You can either do the math (I don't, because it hurts) or use a website to calculate which combination of gears will get you the pitch closest to the metric pitch you want with the least amount of error. It won't be a "true" metric thread, but it'll be so close as to not matter, especially if it is relatively short. You only need to keep the halfnuts engaged and reverse the spindle rotation after withdrawing the tool (there other methods using the threading dial, but I don't understand them enough to try and describe them).

I cut the male metric thread for an ER25 collet nut this way and it's worked fine for the last 3 or 4 years.
    Last edited by mattthemuppet; 02-14-2020 at 08:21 PM.

28. Likes Oildrips liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 1909 LeBlond is still working as well with the wooden back shaft pulleys as the day I made and installed them. Wooden pulleys were common on line shafts back in the day.