What's new
What's new

New to me 16/24 South Bend

BrandonMag

Aluminum
Hi, all

I've been seriously searching for a lathe for about six months. In that time I've found about six that I was very interested in, but they all didn't work out for various reasons. Long story short, I'll be picking up this little beauty on Friday. I've got a few weeks off over the holidays and will be getting as much work done to it as I can, because in January I'll be hitting the road for work and it will have to sit for a few months. Obligatory pitchers:

20191210_000250.jpg

20191210_000323.jpg

20191210_000339.jpg

I'm pretty excited; it's my first lathe and I am ready to make some chips! As you can see, it needs some work, so it will be a little while before it's ready to turn steel. I'm sure I will have some questions, so as they come up I will ask them here. (Any comments or questions about this lathe are welcome.)

It looks like it even has a taper attachment. Be sure that you get professionals to do the moving for you, and that they only lift from the bed. Don't let them lift across the leadscrew or carriage.

Is the taper attachment a hard-to-find part on these lathes?

Not only hard to find, but expensive.

This is good advice. Thanks!

Make sure no strap / lifting device / hold down device even TOUCHES the lead screw, carriage, QCGB, or head stock. Remove the tailstock BEFORE you attempt to move. I would guess that the thing is close to two tons, so it isn't something to do unprepared. I would hire an experienced rigging team to move it (and place it in its place in your shop).

The wife and I took a drive up to Yakima yesterday; we ended up spending almost six hours at Jeff's shop. He was a super-nice guy and I bought some stock and a Miller 330A/BP multi-process (carbon arc, stick and TIG) welder as well. I've been wanting a TIG machine for about a year and was considering an Everlast PowerPro 256D, but this machine was available at a significantly lower price point. We spent a total of about 10 hours on the road and both feel it was time well-spent. We made a good haul and I am now the proud owner of a South Bend 16/24 lathe!

What I started with this morning:

20191214_081254.jpg

The lathe in its new home:

20191214_161541.jpg

The Miller welder:

20191214_163425.jpg

The lathe is about 13.5' long and fits in its spot nicely. It's shipping weight is listed as 3030 pounds, which is considerably lighter than a Monarch, Lodge & Shipley or American. (I think this is a better fit for me considering my lack of experience.) I haven't spent much time with it yet, but I can already see why South Bend Lathes are so popular: they're not complicated and they work! I looked up the serial number 178053, which dates it to 1945 or 1946. It has some problems, but it is almost 75 years old! For its age I think it is in decent shape.

I also bought a copy of Steve Wells Guide to Renovating South Bend Lathe Models 10L-13"-14.5"-16". I just started to look through it, but it looks like it was worth every penny. It is nicely made and has a lot of information. If you buy one of these machines or have one that needs some TLC, you won't regret picking up a copy.

Last edited:
For ur flat belt, a rubber one from a hay baler store( farm & fleet) will work very good,they are spliced,grip like glue.
round baler type belting.
Gw

I rented a Cat forklift and trailer.

Was it able to get inside your garage?

Build yourself one of these to protect your ways when you put on/take off your chucks. I imagine the chuck that is one there right now weighs close to 80 pounds. Make the board underneath wide enough to fit closely between your ways.

DSCI2205.jpg

DSCI2204.jpg

Back