New (to me) 9 inch - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ted may also have felt strips left also. We had the Original South Bend Vendor run these correct sized strips for us.
    I believe our last order was 400 feet.

Steve

2. Likes Kevin T liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the 9C back together. All of my previous lathes have been Grizzly. I like the price of Grizzly machines and I got good long service from them. But they do have their compromises. This South Bend made 70 years ago is still tight and smooth. I started just using "machinery grey" but then I figured I might spruce it up a bit. I painted all of the handwheels with some red that I needed to repaint the bowtie on my truck. Then I polished up the aluminum gear cover.

south-bend-.jpg

This switch came from eBay. When I bought the lathe, I did not realize it but it had not been used in about ten years. Indeed the motor that came with the lathe did not mount to the lathe without a little drilling and tapping. The previous owner never set it up. I reconnected the motor for forward and reverse operation and used the eBay switch. At 12.00 it is a pretty good option.

south-bend-b.jpg

Also bought a quick change tool post.

south-bend-3.jpg

I only got the three jaw chuck with the lathe. I have used a four jaw chuck for offset turning but not very much.

south-bend-d.jpg

Just a view of the tail stock

south-bend-e.jpg

I put the lathe on a roll around cabinet from Sam's Club. Plenty of storage for stuff in the drawers.