What's new
What's new

New to me CLK145D, opinions on tooling and accessories

Dan323

Plastic
Picking up a SB CLK145D I bought at auction tomorrow and trying to decide what to do with it. It's missing the backing plate and tool holder.

Looks like it takes a L00 backing plate and I've found some options for those with chucks, but not sure how good they are.

It also has a bent lead screw so I'm interested in replacing that if possible. From what I'm seeing it should be a standard 1" x 6 ACME 29 degree. But not sure if it's plausible to buy the acme screw and make one.

My bigger issue is figuring out what I want to do with this lathe together with the Clausing 5914 I picked up just a couple months ago.

The Clausing has a genuine Aloris AXA quick change tool post and I've bought a handful of inexpensive tool holders to match. I notice it has a tough time getting to center line on certain tools, but for the most part works ok. The AXA is meant for lathes up to 12" swing, so that makes sense. The SB being a 13" swing the AXA isn't going to work.

So I'm wondering if it's worth it to sell the AXA stuff, buy a pair of knockoff BXA/200 series quick change setups so I can share tools on both? I'm a hobbyist and already stressing the budget a bit with 2 lathes, so that's definitely a consideration. Would love some input and recommendations.

VHraLLA.png

jJH8aPs.png

1J0emoG.png

That Clausing looks like a nice lathe, I tried to buy one years ago but it sold fast...

Hi Dan, looks like you've gotten yourself a couple nice lathes. With regards to the SB leadscrew, can you straighten it? In a press. It can be done. You will need to mill a keyway slot in a leadsrew blank, and then you will have to straighten the new screw also, as it will warp from the milling process. If the threads on your screw are not worn I would straighten it....if you don't have a press, find someone who does. If you can get it straight to within a few thousandths, that will work. The screw is supported at three points, the gearbox, worm gear, and tail bearing.
With respect to your serial# on the SB, is it possible the K is an 8? That would make the lathe a 8145 model (toolroom). It would have been built with a "precision" leadscrew, tighter tolerance than the 145 model. Seeing the taper attachment makes me think it is an 8145 model. Of course you could pay the 25$ to Grizz and get a copy of the South Bend build card.
Having two BXA knockoff toolposts would be the economical way to go, sharing the holders between the lathes, especially if the lathes will be next to one another on the floor. Good luck with your machines. Hope my 2 cents helps in some way. But,sometimes free advice is worth exactly what it costs. PB

Thanks for the info! I picked it up yesterday and met with the instructor who runs the program who informed me the lead screw isn't actually bent on this one and it was mistakenly on the ad. So that's great news.

He did however inform me that the belt slips occasionally and is joined with some sort of metal butterfly straps. So I'll want to address that.

Tag on the machine does indeed say CLK145D which I agree is odd because I can't find reference in any south bend manual.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Back