What's new
What's new

New to me southbend 16x87 Need some help

Thank you for checking out this thread, I’ll post updates and photos often

Does anyone have pointers on running this guy? It came with carbide tooling. Also why do I have what I think is 2 taper attachment supports? They are different diameter bores. There’s also 2 micrometer stops, I’m interested in selling one. There’s Allen caps in the head bearing caps, I’ve seen oilers in these locations on other sb16 so I’m confused about that. It has a buck 6 jaw 9/10 inch chuck I haven’t measured it. I have no idea on how to use that either any tips are appreciated greatly. And last there’s a green arm on the headstock with nothing attached, does any have an idea on what this is?

Fella at grizzly said x means it has the special spindle. I can’t find anything more then that. Does anyone have any info on the special spindle I would appreciate the help

Welcome to the club! I am sure someone will be along to help you more than I can but that is an awesome machine! You are going to want to give it the respect she deserves and do a lot of homework to safely ease into using that thing. A lot of folks try to get the serial card from Grizzly that gives the details about your machine from the time it was ordered. I didnt see if you already tried to get one. It's around 25 bucks and you'll need to get the ID number from your lathe bed which is on the far right end stamped on the flat between the ways. Posting a good pic of this can help others help you too.

You are going to want to get and read a book called "How to Run a Lathe" by Southbend Lathe Company. It might be online as a PDF to help you get started faster but it really a required companion to your lathe. The sell the book as a reprint from Grizzly too. The pics you took are great but they are small. You'll want to learn how to post larger ones and there is a link somewhere in this forum how to do it.

Serial Card for South Bend Lathe - Grizzly.com

Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

You're going to have to post better pictures.

I imagine that the "free arm" is part of a hand lever collet closer. The taper attachment end bracket was filled with babbit on final fitting - you might have one that was cleaned out ready for fitting and final pour.

We can't see your spindle. Outward appearances, it appears to be a standard threaded spindle, so nothing special. Also, believing that anyone at Grizzly knows anything about South Bend lathes is stretching credulity.

on the similar rear bed attachments, one is to mount the tailpiece for the taper attachment the other is to hold the collet tray and the draw tube. that goes on the far right end of the bed. second get South Bend "how to run a lathe" for pointers.

looks like a decent one, nice looking chuck too. tips on using that, it's for holding stuff while you work on it.. sorry, you set that one up!:D

Does anyone have pointers on running this guy? It came with carbide tooling. Also why do I have what I think is 2 taper attachment supports? They are different diameter bores. There’s also 2 micrometer stops, I’m interested in selling one. There’s Allen caps in the head bearing caps, I’ve seen oilers in these locations on other sb16 so I’m confused about that. It has a buck 6 jaw 9/10 inch chuck I haven’t measured it. I have no idea on how to use that either any tips are appreciated greatly. And last there’s a green arm on the headstock with nothing attached, does any have an idea on what this is?

You might be missing a box of stuff that should be part of the machine.

Interesting prop tag on your machine.

Abex Corporation
Corporation
Abex Corporation manufactures and markets gear train systems for large industrial machinery. The company was formerly known as ABE IRONWORKS Corporation and changed its name to Abex Corporation in 2004. The company was founded in 1918 and is based in Hiroshima, Japan.

Mead Fluid Dynamics has been helping shape the pneumatic valve and pneumatic cylinder industry since 1939, offering expertise in the fluid power market. Along with Mead’s commitment to quality and excellence, we take pride in our innovative approach towards developing pneumatic valves and pneumatic cylinders that last, making us the industry leader in pneumatic components.

Abex Corp.jpg

You're going to have to post better pictures.

I imagine that the "free arm" is part of a hand lever collet closer. The taper attachment end bracket was filled with babbit on final fitting - you might have one that was cleaned out ready for fitting and final pour.

We can't see your spindle. Outward appearances, it appears to be a standard threaded spindle, so nothing special. Also, believing that anyone at Grizzly knows anything about South Bend lathes is stretching credulity.

Your totally right I do apologize everyone for the pictures! I’m still learning how to use everything from the lathe to this site, I will load the best pictures I can as soon as I figure out the combination of Mobile phone / desktop site on said phone/ and PM tricks. The collet closer would of been really nice! And when I looked up the serial on southbend/grizzly it said it had the special spindle so that’s what I’m going on

And when I looked up the serial on southbend/grizzly it said it had the special spindle so that’s what I’m going on

The "X" just means that the lathe was not factory standard, ie, someone had the factory customized the lathe some way. The D1-4 or L00 spindle is longer than what we can see, so the spindle is NOT special. Anyway, the different spindles were an option, not a special. The first three letters in the serial number will show the included options.

Thanks all

I’m still at work plus a lot of stuff todo at home of course but i am going to update and respond as soon as I can to everyone plus kore pics!
Please if anyone has picture suggestions or requests don’t hesitate, I’m so overwhelmed with everything and all the equipment in my garage so I forget to take the basic pics and such. This is technically the second lathe I’ve Owned but the heavy 10 before this was only mine for 25 days and I used it about 20mins Accumulative. I’m very Intimidated by while having GREAT respect for this machine. Gave myself a home brew “red asphalt” lesson on past Machinist mistakes and have a healthy understanding of the power this girl has, I don’t wear a ring, no gloves, no sleeves, cut my hair (had a man bun, flame suit on) my beard is a different story, don’t think this girl has the power to eat my beard so I’m ok there. I am relatively new to PM and have been helped a lot already. If I can contribute in anyway let me know guys! So far I greatly enjoy the People who frequent this site and Have felt very welcomed

I found the tag curious too! And I bet your right, I considered there was a missing pile of stuff for this guy that unfortunately got separated and sold as a HGR “tooling” Mystery box :(

That Buck 6 jaw adjust a true chuck is worth some real $$$.. Here is how to adjust it. how to adjust the buck 6 jaw adjust a true chuck - - Video Search Results go to about the 17th minute of video

Thanks a lot! That will definitely help me greatly. The chucks are not cheap and one reason I was drawn to this machine so quickly. I had 7 minutes to look at before they closed and I had to drive 4 hours home. Needless to say we know how it ended up. Bought it before I could talk myself out of it!

The "X" just means that the lathe was not factory standard, ie, someone had the factory customized the lathe some way. The D1-4 or L00 spindle is longer than what we can see, so the spindle is NOT special. Anyway, the different spindles were an option, not a special. The first three letters in the serial number will show the included options.

Gotcha, so only a good eye and measuring tools even will tell what was customized from factory. I believe you, I didn’t mean to come off as a know it all or rude! And thanks for taking the time to visit my threads, I see you helping out a lot around here! Thanks again.

Quote "Thanks a lot! That will definitely help me greatly. The chucks are not cheap and one reason I was drawn to this machine so quickly. I had 7 minutes to look at before they closed and I had to drive 4 hours home. Needless to say we know how it ended up. Bought it before I could talk myself out of it!"

I bet that was the most fun you have had at a action, winning that lathe and driving home with it..��

Back