Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to me turn-nado

Just got a new south bend 17" turnnado. Auto feed didn't work when I bought it but I gambled that it was just the adjustment and it was. It was only 1500 so I figured it was worth it. Changed out all the fluids and wire in the vfd and it run good. Had to disassembled the taper attachment as it was locked in place from rusting. Came with an aloris tool post that was super tight. Tore that apart and cleaned it. Now I can work it with one finger. Biggest downside was the buck chuck it came with uses two piece Jaws and the top Jaws were removed. New are ridiculously expensive and used are proving to be basically impossible to find. Once I find me a decent chuck I'll be in business.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What spindle nose do those have?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a d1-6. The south bend catalog I found says it's standard but appeared d1-8 was an option.

1967 Turn-nado 17x54 CL170E
    Last edited by Jerry33; 11-04-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry33 View Post
    It's a d1-6. The south bend catalog I found says it's standard but appeared d1-8 was an option.

It is a D1-8...that was the only spindle nose offered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're right. I rechecked that catalog and apparently misread it. Popped the chuck off to be 100% certain and it's got 1" pins on it. Probably should have checked that sooner since I've been keeping an eye out for a new chuck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$1,500?? I'd say you stole it....wow...
    How's the headstock on that setup- is it a pressure oil system on the gears?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In our machining class in the early 70s The SB tornado was our best lathe, reserved for the advanced class. I used it, not being in the advanced class. I got kicked out of class. It probably didn't help when I asked the instructor what year did he have his lobotomy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    $1,500?? I'd say you stole it....wow...
    How's the headstock on that setup- is it a pressure oil system on the gears?
    Yes. It has a pump that's driven whenever the spindle is turning that squirts oil on the gears and bathes the spindle bearings in oil(assumed because the sight glass is always full when turning(spindle bearings has its own sight glass)). The gears themselves are all in good condition. You can see minor damage to the edges of the gears from someone shifting before the shaft stops spinning but nothing to worry about. There appears to be a separate oil pump in the gearbox as well but I havent opened that one up as much to see all of it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-J-H View Post
    In our machining class in the early 70s The SB tornado was our best lathe, reserved for the advanced class. I used it, not being in the advanced class. I got kicked out of class. It probably didn't help when I asked the instructor what year did he have his lobotomy.
    Lol that sounds like me back in school. So far it runs great. Can't say I know a lot about machinery like this but it seems to be a pretty well built machine. With people talking about the nordic and some fancy clutch I was kinda worried this might have some crap like that on it but no it definitely does not.