What's new
What's new

MikeMcD

Plastic
Hello,

New guy

Purchased this from another member that lost interest. Actually stumbled on the original thread while looking up lathes, ( New to me 1922 sbl 9") then a few weeks later it showed up for sale not too far from me. Anyway I found the correct gear cover but not the bracket/ hinge. My machine skills are limited to what I did as a small engine mechanic, so I will be learning as I go. Can anybody tell me what that color blue is? I need to paint the gear cover.

Thanks,

Mikelathe.jpg

Hey Mike, welcome to PM!
Nice looking machine you got there!
Best way to get that color is to take off one of the belt guards
and take it to a paint shop like Sherwin Williams where they can match
it perfectly. I can't tell if it's sprayed automobile paint or brushed enamel.

Good luck.

PMc

good luck with that lathe.

I would recommend removing the wheels, and sticking leveler feet in their place.
That way you can true up the lathe so it cuts straight.

Also you may want to goto Walmart or an auto parts place and pick up an oil pan (garage floor type) and make it a chip pan, to catch your oil and chips.... better than being on the floor.

Keep your ways oiled and enjoy.

I know how nice it is to have wheels on your machine just to move for clean-up if nothing else.
But you might try a set of these heavy duty leveling feet at McMaster Carr. I think you will find that they
slide around very easily. I have them on the bottom of my 9" cabinet, but then again, my floor is epoxy painted,
which helps it slide. (A 9" lathe is probably the only size SB you can get away with this).
But yes, your lathe should sit level and not be twisted in either axis.
They also have individual dollies for equipment with legs if/when you need to move the machine. All you need is a floor jack to lift up each side of the machine when you want to move it.

Ditto to the floor pan, but personally, I'd put a shelf on those legs just for other lathe stuff. You could easily make a wooden "slide in" shelf that will fit just under the lathe bed. It can have 4 sides nailed on and even covered with some tin or plexiglass if you like.

BTW, since you live "close" to the previous owner, why not give him a call to see if he has any of that original paint left? Or maybe get name and paint code of manufacturer?

Don't forget to thoroughly spray the ways and all of those nice shiny parts with some anti-rust oil!! They won't stay like that for long if you don't! Also, you might consider getting a cover for your machine. I found that a mattress cover (that you use when moving) is just a big thick bag. Slide it over your lathe and trim the bottom, and boom, a custom cover!

Heavy Duty Leveling Mounts with Threaded Stud

62805k43-@halfx_637115882967104981.png

Use these mounts on heavy machines and equipment. In addition to leveling, mounts raise equipment off the floor for easier cleaning and inspection. They have a zinc or nickel plating for corrosion resistance. All have a nonmarring plastic bottom to protect surfaces from scratches and wear.Mounts with a plastic cushion are nonskid for added stability.

Equipment leg dolly.

View attachment 318044

Welcome, that looks like a very nice machine. I agree with the other advice especially the chip pan. Chips oil etc. can get everywhere. Good luck with your new machine!

Back