What's new
What's new

New Member - First time post

Brian66

Plastic
Hi all,

First time posting as I've just picked up my first South Bend 9" lathe. I've always wanted to learn how to turn metal and thought I'd start by restoring an old lathe to learn the parts and the machine. I found this old South Bend lathe for relatively cheap on Craigslist and it had what appeared to be an under table motor mount which I'd prefer due to limited space but soon realized it was missing quite a few parts. I'd like to restore the lathe to an original but working condition condition. In other words, it won't be a concours restoration but original in most appearances and practically functional in good repair. I'm attempting to gather obviously needed parts while I begin disassembling and refurbishing existing ones. My hope is that this forum is a wealth of knowledge (because I lack it currently) and can assist me along my journey fixing this old lathe up. Attached are a few pics. The main thing I'm missing that I believe will be difficult to acquire will be the original headstock cover. If anyone has a lead on this part I'd greatly appreciate the information.

Look forward to reading and participating in the forum.

Brianlathe 2.jpglathe 2.jpg

That's a really clean looking machine. Ebay is a great place to find parts. The smaller the lathe the more parts are available, at least this is what it looks like when I search for 16" parts!

Thanks guys for lathe compliments, I know I'll be relying on the forum's collective knowledge going forward. First task is to make it functional. It's missing the change gears but I have a lead on a complete set for a reasonable amount. I ordered a few small things off of Ebay today including the back cut gears mounting stud spring and shoe which were missing. I'll begin tearing it down this weekend to clean it.

There's a 10K underdrive back headstock cover for sale on Ebay. See link below. I think alot of parts from the 10k may be interchangeable with the 9". Does anyone know if this part is also interchangeable for my lathe?

I didn't realize it was so rare. Now I'm wondering if chasing the headstock cover will be like finding the White Whale.

Nope:nono: not even close.
Ted

Ah, that figures, I knew it wouldn't be as easy as that. Unfortunately I can't find any good pictures of the back of the headstock cover. Can you tell me how it mounted? There are 2 screw holes in the back on the bed and I'm assuming it either screwed directly to the bed or possibly a hinge attached there.

Back