Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Member, New Lathe

I answered a similar question in this thread a while back:

Wiring up a GE KC series motor
    Wiring up a GE KC series motor

The 2nd post describes how to find which leads are for the start winding if you can’t tell from the connections. You switch those to switch direction.

Edit: this link http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/506.pdf describes your motor on pages 3 & 4. A lot of good information on common motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well this guy followed me home from Craigslist today after work. Picked it up for the tooling. Plan on parting the rest out after i pull a few pieces off of it to put on mine.

There is no serial number stamped in the bed on this one. What else can you tell me about it ? Its got the same push in oil cups as mine should have so looks like i dont need to make those!

I noticed while starting to strip it that its got a 9B lead screw, which i will be swapping onto mine since i would like to add power cross feed at some point.

It came with a GE motor that was wired for 110v F/R already. Its debatable which motor is in better shape however. The switch on the GE motor is a 3P 3HP switch, its massive.

So far out of this I have gotten

Wrenches
    SB tail stock
    Change Gears - Need to sort them all out.
    Collet holder + 3C collets
    Spindle thread protector
    live + dead centers
    face plate
    5" 3 jaw chuck
    6" 4 jaw chuck
    Jacobs chuck
    9B Lead screw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191018_222813.jpg   20191018_173309.jpg   20191018_222724.jpg   20191018_222730.jpg  

3. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the change gears and 3 jaw chuck that came with the second lathe cleaned up and derusted.

Chuck is a cushman 234B. It needs new jaws if anyone has a set.

I got the lathe hooked up to the motor and mount from the second one and put the 3 gear pully on the mount. everything seems to run smoothly. Gears were loud until i got some oil on them.

I have 2 60t gears, going to sell one. Also have 3x 54x18t gears. One has a undercut on the backside that looks "factory" any reason for this ? Going to sell 2 of them i think.

Ended up with

2x 16T
    2x 32T
    2x 36T
    1x 42T
    1x 48T
    1x 52T
    2x 60T
    1x 80T
    1x 116T (not shown)

There was 5 random gears that are not the correct pitch, not sure what to do with those.

Going to strip and repaint the motor bracket and clean up the motor at some point. Now to just get a tool post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191024_201705.jpg   20191024_202104.jpg  

5. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post