New Member restoring 1940 SB 9A; previous strange maintenance; lots of questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Member restoring 1940 SB 9A; previous strange maintenance; lots of questions

Hello South Bend folks. I recently purchased a 9A on Craig's List and am about half way through a restoration. I'm finding lots of strange things previously done to the beast and would like advice on which ones should be corrected or left as "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

First the machine: Its a 9A, SN 101372, Cat. 444-Z. Near as I can tell, that makes it early-to-mid 1940 with QCGB and 3 1/2' bed. The banjo does not have the circular disk on it. Don't know if that's correct or not. There is some wear grooving on the cross-feed ways and lots of crash marks on the tail stock ways near the spindle. Don't think they are an issue. In some ways its a Frankenlathe because I find mis-matched parts. I'll get to those as I go along.

The first thing I did was clean up the change gears. There are no damaged teeth and the gears are correct (for English threads). The only strange thing I found was the bearings on the reverse gear. One has a brass sleeve and the other doesn't (see attached image). I assume one has been changed out at some point for a newer replacement. I don't see this as a problem, but would appreciate someone's comments.

img_1830-1-.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^
    Not replacement, looks as though the left side gear shaft has been turned down and then bushed back to correct OD for the gear.
    This would make me suspect of other worn shafts, have you pulled and inspected the QCGB yet?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by philliphalleck View Post
    The only strange thing I found was the bearings on the reverse gear. One has a brass sleeve and the other doesn't (see attached image). I assume one has been changed out at some point for a newer replacement.
    I would assume that sometime in its life, the reverse gear began to wobble, so the axle was turned down enough to put a pressed on brass bushing on the gear. The brass part should be pressed on to the gear, as it is supposed to move with the gear. The axle gets the oil, so it is there rotation should run.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you are correct that this is a repair for a damaged shaft. I've now found lots of shaft damage due to lack of lubrication. I've been able to polish out the high spots on most of them and everything seems tight, although I may eventually replace the brass bearings in the apron. The worst I found was on the back gear shaft. I'll post some pictures later on.