What's new
What's new

New member with a SB 9C

dkihlgren

Plastic
Hi, new member and a noob home machinist.
Got my hands on a 9C. Previous owner was an old man who used to work at a VW work shop. He got the lathe from that shop. When he pasted away I was asked by his kids if I needed a lathe.
I know just about nothing a out these old things so I offered $150. I have no idea if it's cheap or not..
Apears to be in ok condition. Plugged it in and it runs. Will use it to make parts for my old motorcycle [emoji4]

dc727e0c2aa73def18acaf32063a5ab2.jpg

Skickat från min Mi 9T Pro via Tapatalk

That is a gapbed lathe. If it's in good shape, you got a great deal. That is a very rare lathe.
More pictures please. And did you get any accessories with it.

Stay safe and have fun. Joe.

That is a gapbed lathe. If it's in good shape, you got a great deal. That is a very rare lathe.

I don't think I've ever seen one of these. Gapbed, large dials on feeds AND a V-belt drive set-up. A rare lathe indeed! Looks to be in good condition. You are very lucky to own this.

I don't think I've ever seen one of these. Gapbed, large dials on feeds AND a V-belt drive set-up. A rare lathe indeed! Looks to be in good condition. You are very lucky to own this.
Cool! I'll take good care of it.

Maby that explains the X (special) in the serial number?
2184797fe4877298f63c7a94e6e7c9f1.jpg

Skickat från min Mi 9T Pro via Tapatalk

QUOTE "I was asked by his kids if I needed a lathe."

Why dose no one ever ask me if I want{or need}a South Bend Lathe???

This is the SECOND gap bed lathe that I have seen in the last couple of weeks with that cross-slide, triple dovetail arrangement. It doesn't show up in any catalog that I have with the gap bed. There doesn't even seem to be an OPTION for that cross-slide. I wonder if that is what the "X" means in the serial number. Maybe @SBLatheman can comment on the CS.

What *might* be nice about that cross/saddle arrangement is it looks like one could easily swap a power feed apron for the 9C apron...if Ted can confirm that is would be a worthy addition....might even consider going in for the quick change gearbox on that one....be a nice little machine....not that it isnt now.

This is the SECOND gap bed lathe that I have seen in the last couple of weeks with that cross-slide, triple dovetail arrangement. It doesn't show up in any catalog that I have with the gap bed. There doesn't even seem to be an OPTION for that cross-slide. I wonder if that is what the "X" means in the serial number. Maybe @SBLatheman can comment on the CS.

What *might* be nice about that cross/saddle arrangement is it looks like one could easily swap a power feed apron for the 9C apron...if Ted can confirm that is would be a worthy addition....might even consider going in for the quick change gearbox on that one....be a nice little machine....not that it isnt now.
Prototype Cross Slide

This should answer both questions

Ted

Below is a pic of a 10K with the same cross-slide. Does the "X" in the serial number (the lathe below also has an "X" in the SN) indicate a GAP BED machine, or does it indicate the prototype cross slide?

attachment.php

Back