What's new
What's new

New Needle Bearing Reversing Gears for my Heavy10

mTeryk

Hot Rolled
Browsing the forum last week, I came across this thread.. Even though I am a bit allergic to social network games and contests, the thought of replacing the worn out reverse gears on my Heavy 10 was enticing. I've read Zahnrad's posts for awhile on this forum so knew that they would be top quality. I decided to get down off my high horse and jump through a few hoops in the hopes of getting some free gears for my lathe.

Lo and Behold I was a winner.:D :D

There is a chance that my odds were improved by the likely fact that most Southbend Lathe owners are more familiar with telegrams and land lines than Facebook and Instagram. Irregardless of the lack of competition, I am very happy to have a new set of reversing gears for my Heavy 10. While my lathe did not magically become whisper quiet it did become noticeably quieter and has a perhaps nicer tone, although that is subjective.

The gears came quickly, well packaged in a nice box with foam and a set of bags that will be nice to reuse.

IMG_20181103_172501541_BURST000_COVER_TOP-L.jpg

Needle Bearings with o-ring on one side.

IMG_20181103_172511123-XL.jpg

I almost packed them with grease before I remembered that there are wicking felts to keep them lubricated so a I used the same oil I use for the QCGB and put the o-rings to the inside. Installed there is very little gear lash, especially compared to my old ones and nice sounding (click the thumbnail to see video)

Hear are my old ones for comparison

I realize it is not a fair comparison as I have more gears running in the older videos. You'll have to trust me that the new gears are quieter and better sounding.

Thank you Zahnrad and American Machine and Gear Works.

Teryk

The gears look great. Congratulations on winning them.

Don’t forget to turn your twin gear studs upright so oil goes to the wicks.

I like the idea... Are you running an inner race or are the needles riding on the existing shaft surface? I would be concerned with wear if shaft liner or hardened shaft wasn't used.
-Dave

I like the idea... Are you running an inner race or are the needles riding on the existing shaft surface? I would be concerned with wear if shaft liner or hardened shaft wasn't used.
-Dave

The shafts are indeed Heat Treated, by the factory. My own set of gears** have been in my lathe for years longer than I can even recall. And it's part of a working shop, so I don't feel that there is much to be concerned about.

** - The original idea and origin of these gears.

Sorry for the slow response. Yes they are. Wicks oil right to the inside of the needle bearings. I'm going to take them off soon and see that they have been getting oil but it looks like it.

The gears look great. Congratulations on winning them.

Don’t forget to turn your twin gear studs upright so oil goes to the wicks.

would hsracer expound on this please? about oil to wicks. thanks

Back