What's new
What's new

New SB lathe in their site!

it has a 1 1/8" spindle bore??? why in the world doesn`t the new 10K have that? then you would be able to take advantage of the full range of 5C collets! hmmm...

I also don't see a gear box? It's a strange setup I'm not familiar with. Does anybody know how that works?

People are often comparing modern equipment to the SB but from what I've seen the only thing on the modern market that's close in features and size is the Myford for 7500 bucks I think.

The 9A reminds me of my old 4 cyl Mustangs. It was the only car under 50,000 that I could find that had the three things I wanted in a car. Convertible, stick shift and a rear window made of glass. It was a cheap car but the next car to have those items was BMW or Mercedes.

No cross power feed??? I was really hoping the new small SB would be at least equal in features to the original.

The 9A still remains supreme, nothing else that small has the features it has. After all these years too.

I like the looks of the new 10 but this is a bit disappointing.

Mbphoton

I think it has power longitudinal feed, just no power crossfeed. The longitudinal feed range is listed as .003 -.006"/rev, which is a useful albeit narrow range. This probably covers 90% of what many users would choose if they had a QC box, but not having ANY ability to feed slower or faster than that would be an inhibitor, especially for small work where you are feeding to a shoulder. Things are moving right along at 2300 RPM and .003"/rev feed rate. Also, it seems that you need to move the belts around to change feed, which is a little more cumbersome than flipping a lever.

Oh well, I guess the appeal will depend a lot on the price point.

Regards.

Mike

Hello Gunsmithing1,

I don't use the back gears too often but when I do.....I really want those gears available.

I'm not sure but I don't clearly see a slot for non threading power feeding in the lead screw.

Can anybody see a slot? If not, there's a big problem. I wouldn't want to be wearing down my lead screw every time I wanted a nice final finish on something.

Mbphoton

Question: did we not have a discussion On the new 10K, about the spindle bore. We were told it could not be any larger

8-K
Spindle nose: D1-3
Spindle bore: 1-1/8"

10 K
Spindle nose: D1-3 camlock
Spindle bore: 0.86"

also:

8-K
Spindle taper: MT #3

Yet it comes with a MT #4.5 to MT #3 Morse Taper spindle sleeve.

8-K
Compound travel: 2-5/8"

10 K
Compound slide travel: 1.875"

why so much difference

8-K
Spindle motor: 1-1/2 HP

10 K
Spindle motor size: 1 HP

The differences are kind of backward, don't you think.

promacjoe

very perplexing indeed- i`m with promacjoe on this. it has features that would seem to be better suited to the new 10K. the motor, i understand. since it is variable speed it needs more power to retain low end torque. but the other stuff??

Not feeling it. Looks nothing like a South Bend. I'm not sure why everyone is getting excited or even paying attention? These are just Asian lathes. No different from any of the Grizzlys or other foreign lathes out there, but nobody is buzzing about them. :rolleyes5:

I'm sorry, but it looks like a total piece of crap. I'd rather buy an old (real) South Bend and put money into it, than buy this machine. Pretty pictures though...

I'm sorry said:
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. The 10 looked ok this one I don't like too much.

There's nothing else like the old 9A. I just went to check out the price on Myfords, they have closed down and have a liquidation sign on their home page.

Mbphoton

This ain't the coming of the new heavy 10. It is not too much better than the Harbor Freight special.

Those zerk fittings are not for grease. The Bridgeport milling machines that were not fitted with one-shot oiling used to be fitted with zerk fittings. When you bought a new milling machine, they included a special oil gun to shoot oil in those fittings. If you used grease in those fittings, you gummed up the slides so that you had to dis-assemble the table and saddle to clean out the grease. If you use grease in those zerk fittings, you are headed for trouble.

It looks like you have to use the threads on the lead screw to get longitutinal feeds. There doesn't appear to be any power cross feed.

You don't have tapered gibs on the cross-slide and compound slide. Just cheap, simple set screws against the side of the gib. The American South Bends all have tapered gibs.

Iwananew10k: It looks like you have to wait awhile longer to get your dream lathe.

Lord Byron

Back