What's new
What's new

New SB owner needs help.

Bob Leistner

Plastic
Hi, I'm new here and I just bought a 1928 9" with Silent Drive and a 40" bed.
There are two copper tubes, one in the gear box and one in the saddle. Is there supposed to be felt in them? If so, how long should it be?
The one reverse idler has a broken stud. from searching here that appears to be not uncommon.Is someone making them or is that my first project:)?
Seems to be in OK shape other than the hideous institution green paint that I am stripping off and pounds of chips and shavings in it.
I have been a member at OWWM/OMWM for quite a few years and the publications-VM.org are down right now. Does this site have something similar with parts guides and manuals?
Thank you in advance.
Bob Leistner

Yes I bought the same kit from Mr.Wells(?). Trouble is, that it is geared toward the Type N lathe and the older ones are a bit different.I have a copy printed of the gearbox parts manual but not the spindle asm. or the saddle. and the are definitely different from the 1940's lathe.Not complaining, the kit got me alot further along than anything I would have come up with otherwise. Oh, the top oilers for the spindles, they aren't supposed to be a couple of pipe cleaners in there are they?

Yes I bought the same kit from Mr.Wells(?). Trouble is, that it is geared toward the Type N lathe and the older ones are a bit different.I have a copy printed of the gearbox parts manual but not the spindle asm. or the saddle. and the are definitely different from the 1940's lathe.Not complaining, the kit got me alot further along than anything I would have come up with otherwise. Oh, the top oilers for the spindles, they aren't supposed to be a couple of pipe cleaners in there are they?

yes, pipe cleaners hold the oil and distribute it slower than just dripping full speed.

I stuck a small bit of felt in mine, just to slow down the oil delivery a touch. I've torn down pretty much everything and replaced the felts as they were solid hard masses of junk.

Good luck on finding parts, I would expect you'll need to repair that stud yourself. I've almost finished putting my '29 9" back together so if there are any other things I can help with while it's apart, let me know.

publications-VM.org are down right now. Does this site have something similar with parts guides and manuals?

"manual" - SB only has the many editions of How To Run A Lathe - it is the manual

Can probably email a later (than your lathe) edition if you care to Private Message me that email address

Would the pipe cleaners be preferable to felt in the passageway?

no, each has its use, and is proper.
many gitz oil cups (the larger ones) use the pipe cleaners to slowly deliver. And it also helps to filter the oil trapping contaminants if they exist.

The felt is for slow oil delivery as well, it wipes a small amount onto the journal.

"manual" - SB only has the many editions of How To Run A Lathe - it is the manual

Can probably email a later (than your lathe) edition if you care to Private Message me that email address

I did buy a copy of the book but I started on page one and did not really leaf through it yet. With my luck, I bought a newer version and will have to seek out a copy closer to the 1928 born on date of mine.

Thank you, I just sat down at my desk and the manual popped up. That was kind of you. I will see when I get home what I have and any differences and either print out a couple pages that are different or look to order a whole new book. Thank you, again.

Back