What's new
What's new

New serpentine belt for the baby.

kd0afk

Hot Rolled
I had trouble turning 304 stainless steel, parting off mainly and I got tired of my belt slipping off under heavy load so I got a serpentine belt and WOW!, what a difference. My little SB9 now has the oomph to not only cut 304 but also to part off. And the thing is quieter now, no more little tick tick sound. Also, the belt is 4 inches shorter than the old one which brought the big pulley forward a few inches so now I can move my bench back a little and anyone who has seen my "shop" can appreciate that. I think I'm going to start investing in some nice indexable turning tools.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I took the spindle out to put the belt on I inspected it. No scoring, no scratches, clean as the day it was made. That along with the .0005 deflection on the spindle, I think with care, she'll last another 100 years.
And South Bend loved taper pins didn't they? I do have to replace the old felt wicks but that will come at the end of the month, In my Ebay shopping cart I already have the needle bearing and washers and the rebuild kit as well as the brass spanner nuts for the cross slide and compound handles.

Good to know, our 13" SB at work is noisy as all hell! As for the taper pins, LeBlond did that a lot too. Just don't try hammering them the wrong way! I'd like to use tapered pins in some of my work but never saw a taper reamer for say 3/16" pins. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for. Anyone have any input?

I was in the shop today and parted off a piece of 3/4" schedule 80, 304 and 3/4" bar of the same stuff. It was complaining some of the way but it got the job done. If it bogged down and grabbed it just stopped the motor instead of the belt slipping. I like it!
I would like to eventually replace the motor perhaps with something more powerful but with the same speed, any suggestions?

Good to know, our 13" SB at work is noisy as all hell! As for the taper pins, LeBlond did that a lot too. Just don't try hammering them the wrong way! I'd like to use tapered pins in some of my work but never saw a taper reamer for say 3/16" pins. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for. Anyone have any input?
Check Ebay. It might cost you a weeks pay but I've seen them for sale.

I found my spindle to be in equally great condition when I pulled it....some 62 years after her birth. Not a spot of wear, and no need to adjust the bearing...even though the bed had .007" wear and the Tailstock was .018 low!

Great spindle design!

Dave

Back