What's new
What's new

new south bend heavy ten, with some problems.

weissman42

Plastic
new to the forum , although i have been lurking here for some time. I am an Electrician, formerly worked as a manual lathe operator some years back running an big ole axelson lathe in a machine shop that made valve parts for the navy. decided i like machining better as a hobby. i recently moved to a house with a gigantic free-standing barn of a garage and am excited to build myself a proper workshop for once in my life. sooo, i bought a 10 L this past weekend. and in my excitement at finding a seemingly relatively intact specimen that i could actually afford less than 10 miles away from my house, i overlooked a few issues. I will include a few photos for reference. the biggest one is that it seems that the included cushman 3 jaw chuck and the two faceplates that came with the lathe actually have register ID's that do not match the register diameter on the lathe spindle. the difference is about .015 total. they are 2 1/4 x 8 tpi and seem to thread on fine, but i would assume that would still leave me with a bit of runout / lack of repeatability. i do have a 4 jaw chuck with a 2 1/4 x 8 tpi threaded back plate from a chinese 12x lathe that i used to have. could i use this to turn a new backing plate on this lathe even though the register dia is wrong on this one too? i know there are some seemingly good youtube videos about ways to deal with this situation, but thought someone on here could give some advice. other issues i have noticed are that the knob on the compound is partially broken, the handle is missing, just to graduated collar is there, can be turned but would be nice to source replacement parts. also the feeds for the carriage and cross slide dont seem to work, havent been able to test under power but turning leadscrew by hand does not seem to move anything with the selector in either of the three positions and the clutch lever feels kinda loose, is the clutch worn out? hopefully that worm gear isn't busted. this lathe supposedly came from a school metal shop, and shows some signs of students doing various stupid things with it. thanks to all
-eian

IMG_7727.jpg
IMG_7647.jpg
IMG_7731.jpg

thanks for the info, that is very helpful. good news is that a mystery collet closer i bought years ago from a guy at the flea market on a hunch that it might have originally been from a south bend lathe, and that i might someday buy one, turns out to be a perfect fit for the lathe i just bought?! so that was a pleasant surprise.

thanks for the info, that is very helpful. good news is that a mystery collet closer i bought years ago from a guy at the flea market on a hunch that it might have originally been from a south bend lathe, and that i might someday buy one, turns out to be a perfect fit for the lathe i just bought?! so that was a pleasant surprise.

You ARE the winner! Go buy a lottery ticket.

Back