What's new
What's new

New south bend owner, have wiring questions for converting motor from 240v to 120v

esk1llz

Plastic
Hey there Everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of how to properly wire the motor that came with my South Bend 9" unit. When I obtained the unit it was wired and configured in the 240volt or high wiring setup and I am trying to switch it to work on 120v or the low wiring setup.

The Motor I am using is a General Electric Utility Motor which came with the unit. The model details can be seen here:

photo_2018-06-04_22-28-09.jpg

The problem that I am having is that the wiring diagram shows 5 posts and from these, two posts appear to have what they refer to as LINE connections which I presume in the 120v configuration would be the neutral and the hot cable. I have adjusted the metal plates to make them configured in the fashion shown in the wiring schematic but I am at a loss of where the ground connection should goto? I presume the obvious answer is to the chassis but when this unit was wired for 240v it was setup with the two lines shown in the schematic being wired to both hot connections and the ground was connected where the portion added in pen is depicted. This is the diagram I am referring to: mask.jpg

At this time the motor is wired in this fashion and I am just dying to get some input from anyone that can aid me with getting this wired properly for 120volts.

Here is how the plates and wiring currently sit waiting for any direction that anyone can offer. All of my research continues to refer to 8 terminals rather than 5 such as my motor appears to have.

photo_2018-06-04_21-16-33.jpg

If anyone can give me some insight as to how to properly wire this for 120volts I would be very appreciative.

In advance, thanks for your time on this request and hope you all have a wonderful day.

Hopefully a soon to be south bend user also ;)

Cheers.

Mark.

You can mount the ground wire to the motor frame or the conduit mount, the photo of your motor tag shows where to put the hot lead and the neutral
{line}. hope this helps some.

Back