What's new
What's new

New thoughts on VFD for 9A lathe?

500mpxlcameraguy

Aluminum
I will be moving a 9A to a space without 220 3phase and my lathe has a 1/2 HP 220 3phase motor. Better to change the motor or put a VFD ? I need to plug into a standard 110V outlet. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I will be moving a 9A to a space without 220 3phase and my lathe has a 1/2 HP 220 3phase motor. Better to change the motor or put a VFD ? I need to plug into a standard 110V outlet. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I’m enjoying having variable speed on my 16” lathe, but adding it came with an investment in time and money.

At the high end of “easy” options, you’ll spend around $300 for a KBAC-24D motor drive running safely inside a cast aluminum NEMA-4X watertight enclosure. It will run your motor on a 110VAC power source all day long. Just be sure to order the optional On/Off and Reversing switches with it for use on a lathe.

On the low cost/higher time investment end of the spectrum, for around $100 you can buy an import 1hp VFD with a NEMA-1 (unsealed) plastic enclosure and a poorly translated manual. You’ll save a few bucks, but you’ll probably spend several hours on the web looking for help setting it up correctly.

Both will run your lathe, just comes down to your interest in (or tolerance of) programming, wiring, and mounting the VFD.

If you don’t care about variable speed, you can buy a static phase converter for the existing motor.

Of course, you can always just swap the motor out for a 1-phase model, too.

Good luck!

What Thomas said. Single-phase is easy. You've got lots of belted ratios, yah?

.. but y'know.. with a lathe that doesn't really NEED any more than 1/2 to 3/4 HP? I'd put a 90 VDC motor on it with a small 120 VAC-in 4Q "regenerative" KB-Penta controller so I had fast braking w/o need of resistors as well as fast reversing and variable-speed.

Simpler and more rugged than a VFD. No capacitors nor their ages to speak of, f'rinstance.

2CW

This IMO is the vfd of choice...300 bucks with the fwd/off/reverse switch and the liquid tight fitting options....American made and turn key, no enclosure, mount it anywhere.
KBAC-24D 1HP ANALOG VFD 115/23VAC WHITE 9988

IF you want DC then you could maybe PM member JRolfe...he has that conversion down.

Good choice, existing motor, no mechanical work required to the lathe or drive subsystem.

For DC, same case, same mount-wherever, the KBRC-240D line, mebbe $50 less money, 4Q regen, so no braking resistors, and one dials-in how fast you want the stop or reverses so the chuck dasn't unscrew.

but.. one then also needs to find a DC motor, 90 VDC if all yah have is 120 VAC, 180 VDC if you have 230AC. Also mount it, put a pulley onto the shaft, etc.
A 1-P motor in fractional HP is probably still going to be less expense than either.

Static converters don't. Convert. They just trick a 3-P motor into 'sort of" running, and badly crippled.

A rotary? Well.. even a 1 to 2 HP idler, better-yet a 5 HP, and not only is the SB 9 well-served, one can run several other light/medium 3-P critters, too.

Pros and cons to each, but not big ones, as a SB nine isn't actually all that picky.

I'd go to Automation Direct and get one of the GS1 or GS2 models. Watch out for fast braking if you have a screw-on chuck without any locking device. Screw-on chucks invariably have a rapid screw-off feature you don't want!:willy_nilly:

I do not recommend buying a vfd off eBay....no assurance that it will not be a factory reject or that it is even truly new...go direct to a distributor whatever you choose.

eBay is great for lots of stuff but electronics is not one of them IMO.

I echo the suggestions of a KBMA 24D. I took this advice and couldn't be happier with mine. Which was only like $170.00 through Galco. Easy to install, easy to use right out of the box, and offers the flexibility of 3 phase on 110v OR by just swapping a plugin (included) jumper you can run 3 phase on 220v if your power situation changes.

Thanks to all for the variety of good information. When I have looked into all of these ideas I’m sure that I will have a workable solution.
Thanks again,
Conrad

I'd go to Automation Direct and get one of the GS1 or GS2 models. Watch out for fast braking if you have a screw-on chuck without any locking device. Screw-on chucks invariably have a rapid screw-off feature you don't want!:willy_nilly:

I use Automation Direct VFDs exclusively on automated reloading presses we manufacture. Never any issues with any of them. All rock solid.

I don't think a ramp down would be a good idea with a screw on chuck. Set it to "coast to stop".

Hi everybody. 3+ months later and I have ended up with a KBAC-24D hooked up and running. Nuff said, it works great, thanks to all for the suggestions.

I getting ready for wiring up my drive real soon the part I am having an issue with is I have a choice of 2 single phase 208/230 motors I really want to go VFD as I read the KBMA-24D manual it seems I can use this as 115/120 single in and 208/230 single out. I am I correct this is a bit over my head I am fine with do all the mechanical electric wiring

The specs for the KBMA-24D say it is capable of 115/120 single phase input through a jumper setting. The output is 208/230 three phase though. You will need a three phase motor. The drive will not operate your single phase motors.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Back