New way to metric thread on 10L? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kitno455 View Post
    Yes- if you want to use the stock SB setup, that's all you need. Oh, and 7 stud gears, and the 127/100 compound, and a new gear door if you want it to close

allan
    I have some more re-familiarization with my model before I comment on this. However, I don't know if this is meaningful but my 10L is fitted with a wide range (4TPI - 480TPI) double tumbler QC. My gearbox cover is the two piece type with a "W.P. RAPP - Precision Machines" brass plate on it. I don't know if those gears will fit under it but the bottom (swing out section) is rather large. The upper section (very small) is bolted to the headstock and only covers the spindle gear and < 40% of the reverse tumblers.

I'm still searching for the model information that Paula sent me > 10 years ago. I do remember that it was a wide range precision tool room lathe with precision lead screw.

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sounds like the standard 10L setup. Mine has been converted to the same. My goal with this thread was not to recap how to metric thread with the SB setup. Rather, to give us a place to discuss other mechanisms, as we did here:

Metric Threads on a 16" SB

allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CDRIVE View Post
    I have some more re-familiarization with my model before I comment on this. However, I don't know if this is meaningful but my 10L is fitted with a wide range (4TPI - 480TPI) double tumbler QC. My gearbox cover is the two piece type with a "W.P. RAPP - Precision Machines" brass plate on it. I don't know if those gears will fit under it but the bottom (swing out section) is rather large. The upper section (very small) is bolted to the headstock and only covers the spindle gear and < 40% of the reverse tumblers.

I'm still searching for the model information that Paula sent me > 10 years ago. I do remember that it was a wide range precision tool room lathe with precision lead screw.

Thanks,
    Chris
    A short time ago, a metric transposing attachent for a Heavy 10 was advertised on this site. It had the required guarding.
    Is your guard this big?
    Need advice on pricing of hand lever turret #3
    Ted
    BTW: It is already sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBLatheman View Post
    Is your guard this big?
    Need advice on pricing of hand lever turret #3
    Ted
    Ted,

Mine looks similar but not exactly like that. Mine looks exactly like the SB service manual depicts the cover for a double tumbler/wide range QC, which is different from a standard double tumbler. The bottom of mine is partially open like that one though.

Thanks for the link.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My lathe will cut only Imperial threads. Up to .75 inch/19 mm I use taps and dies. Larger metric I can farm out. For me taps and dies are faster and the results are dead nuts.
    Thanks,
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gee, 8 years later, thanks.

allan