What's new
What's new

Newbie with a 405 but no gears

MauledByBears

Plastic
Hi

I was given a SB 405-Y by a friend as-is: meaning it only had the gears that are in it. This is my first geared lathe, my other lathe is a Pratt & Whitney 3C, so this is new territory for me.

Is there a list somewhere of all the gears included with the 405 when it was new? I know the DP is different from the later versions of the 9 and 10k lathes, but I'm not sure what else is different. It doesn't seem like anyone's selling a full set on eBay and those things aren't cheap!

Anyone have an idea where I can look? 3D printer-friendly CAD files for the 9 and 10k lathes are easy to find on Thingiverse, but they're all 18DP and not 20. Is it as simple as going into CAD and copying these gears and just changing the pitch?

Thanks

You could print 18dp gears at an appropriate scale, then bore out the hub and re cut the keyway.

I have a set of plastic gears and they really need metal inserts for the bore, the key will strip out the plastic and getting the diameter just right is a pita. ( depends on the printer and the plastic)

That's a good tip about the inserts! I was hoping to use the prints to cast some gears out of aluminum so I wouldn't have to worry about stripping them as quickly.

Normally I'd just print a set of the 18DP and run with it, but I don't think they'll mesh with the spindle gear. The threading index chart on my lathe shows the 24T spindle gear used for everything. I'm not sure how exactly it's fixed to the spindle, I haven't taken a very close look at it/tried to take it apart yet. I'll include some pictures.

2018-06-17 20.00.49.jpg2018-06-17 20.01.51.jpg

It looks like I'll need the following: 24T, 28T, 30T, 33T, 36T, 39T, 42T, 45T, 48T, 54T, 60T, 69T. From what I've read the 1:2 and 2:1 idlers might be 40T and 80T gears on the same axis. As you can see all my info is kind of fragmented. That's why I was wondering if there was a source (preferably a SB catalog or parts list or something)

I could knock up a set of STL's if you need them.

Thanks! I'm happy to do it myself, my question was more about how it would be done and what gears I need. I guess I could just make all that are in the index plate and if I need an idler or something, cross that bridge when I get to it.

You can use Autodesk Fusion 360, it's free for personal use and has a tool to auto-generate gears.

Thanks bou, that's my plan. My question is more related to what gears I need to make. Information seemed pretty sparse so I was hoping to get a little information here before the trial-and-error approach and hope I don't need too many idlers or compound gears to complete a set.

Is there a list somewhere of all the gears included with the 405 when it was new?
If you can wrangle a spreadsheet you can work up a set of gear combinations which will provide the carriage movement needed for the various thread pitches that you're interested in having. Basically, knowing the leadscrew pitch, you can calculate the gear ratio required to effect any particular carriage movement per revolution of the spindle. Once you know the gear ratio needed for each of the screw thread pitches you want it is simply a matter of selecting the set of gears that will work within a tolerance that is acceptable using the fewest number of gears.

Back