What's new
What's new

Newbie to Lathes, gifted a 1937 South Bend Workshop 9''

BDogg464

Plastic
As the title says, I have no previous lathe experience. So i guess this is not a bad situation to utilize to get my feet wet and start understanding everything.
That being said, im no dummy, and not new to machinery or heavy tools. Just never got the opportunity to be around many to learn on or mess with.

My good buddy/co-worker came to me a few weeks back and asked me if i possibly wanted a lathe. I said i'll take it good sir! (Also got a 1970 Wellsaw 58B horizontal bandsaw!!)
Anyways like i always seem to do, it started with just cleaning it up, then just take it apart, then paint it, then replace parts, etc, etc.
So that's kinda where i am at now, half thru the process of tearing everything down as far as i can, cleaning it, and painting if it gets paint.
I did not remove the feet from the bed, but everything else came off, cleaned/scrubbed-cleaned/scrubbed-cleaned/scrubbed, then dried off and painted.
The headstock has been total broke down, cleaned, and the casting repainted waiting on parts to be cleaned inspected and put back in.
I ordered the felt replacement kit online that also comes with the oils. And ordered new bearings for the spindle and got the pin bearings for the tension-er nut.
I had to get a few spare parts online to replace some gears with broken teeth, so now im in the never ending world of soaking parts and cleaning.
I have already gone thru all the chucks and such the came with the lathe in the tool drawer on the stand. They seem internally to not have alot of wear but were full of chips.
All i really have left is all the stuff i pulled off the bed and headstock, and i havn't touched the tailstock yet. All other gears have all ready been cleaned.
Well there is my introduction. I'll add some more as i go along, and im sure i'll have a mountain of questions to research on here, and ask you fine people. Im excited to finally be able to mess around with a lathe.

20210328_101617.jpg20210328_101912.jpgLathe.jpg20210328_102012.jpg20210322_200145 (2).jpg

Hey Bulldog, it looks like you are off to a really good start; and congrats on your new old machine!
You've landed at a really good forum for questions as you get farther into it.
Welcome to "the churn" !

One thing I know that I would do (and that's only me) is to relocate the drum switch.
I put mine over by the tailstock where it stays completely out of the way. I would also
get rid of that stiff steel armoring around the cable...I hate that stuff. Hobby/home ownership,
OSHA can't touch you. But then again, if you are prone to dropping chucks, then maybe keep it.:D
(I have a 1946 9" Model A, and a 1958 9" Model B w/quick change gearbox.)

Keep up with pictorial updates!

PMc
View attachment 317649 View attachment 317651 View attachment 317657

Last edited:
Wow! what a setup. I don't believe im going to get to that level. But all sound advice. I will be sure to add more pics along the way. I got the Headstock back together today.

You got a new headstock ?

The one in the dirty photos shows a top oiler headstock from a 9" workshop, but the cleaned up photos has a newer side oiler from a 9a/b/c lathe

Make sure you check tailstock alignment and shim accordingly with the new headstock.

yes, i had to get a few parts for the old headstock. So i found a deal on one that had all the parts i needed. If alignment is way off, i guess i can always use the original, but the main shaft bearings,(no bearings just cast) is worn pretty badly in the orginal.
I'll upload some photos later of the original main shaft and bearing surfaces of the original headstock.

Back