What's new
What's new

No felt?

tonnyandre09

Plastic
Hello again

I am refurbishing my Aasbrink which is a clone of the SB9. I have put back the headstock together just to see how it looked and must say I am rather pleased.
But when I took it apart there was no felt in the oilers or bearings. And there is just this small grove at the top of the bearing. Should there be felt in the oil cups or in that small grove? What do you guy's think?
18a03a14dd71b64a72afb8d50fb676f0.jpg
3503a20148c724fff96e4d1bd2d9ad23.jpg

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

It may depend on how Aasbrink made their version, but I would say yes for the oil hole, no for the oil groove, however I would want something in the front slot where the bearing is clamped. Many lathes will have felt or paper-board in there to keep dirt and chips from migrating into the bearing. You might do an initial bearing adjustment to see how wide the compressed gap is and what materials are available to you to make a filler for it. Something that'll hold it's shape but also not inhibit future bearing adjustment.

Your lathe is based on a pre-war design. The lubrication system was totally flow-thru and had no felts. You are supposed to fill the cups once an hour for the first 100 hours, then twice a day after.

Original design had no felts. I would put felt in the oil cup to slow the oil flow and to filter the oil. I would also put felt into the bearing clamp slot. That felt would keep debris out, and serve as a wick to retain oil.

it's as tight as I can get it without binding, about 1 1/2 thou clearance with the spindle lift test. I have a feeling someone remade the bearings sometime in the last 90 years as I've never seen any pre-30s SB9s with one piece bronze bearings. They did a good job but went a bit undersized on the bearing OD as it had a brass shim when I took it apart, which needed replacing when I put it back together.

I just flood it with oil. Lathe runs great, no chatter or deflection I've been able to detect so far.

Back