What's new
What's new

No holes for mounting thread dial on my 9"... huh

mydadslathe

Plastic
My 9" is an early one with chrome spring loaded oilers on the top of the spindle. It has the big cast gear cover that doesn't latch to anything. The gear chart is on the end but only says Workshop precision and doesn't specify A B or C. It does say 9" though and it looks like a 9C. The gears are manually interchanged like a "c" which I thought it was. I was cleaning the apron and noticed no place to mount a threading dial. Has one hole to oil the carriage gears in the front, but thats it. So does this mean I couldn't mount one without machining and drilling the carriage or was there another way to mount on this lathe? Any options? :rolleyes5::crazy: Thank you

though and it looks like a 9C

Thumbnails show the two loose change gear versions, B with apron clutch (and power cross feed) and C with neither

Attachments

• SB9B.jpg
    SB9B.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 101
  • SB9C.jpg
    SB9C.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 93
If the lathe did not have a dial originally, it won't have the holes. If you bought the dial later, it came with instructions: http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/paula_stephens/thread-dial-ATT-94.jpg
allan

Interesting. Same as if one purchases a 10L that never had a lever collet closer installed. The owner
has to drill and tap the hole on the headstock boss for the pin that holds the link. Was a bit nerve
wracking that. I was sure I was going to destroy a perfectly good headstock....

I think this model might pre date the abc designations. I now see the cross slide is much shorter than I see on later models. So confusing. Thanks all.

Back