What's new
What's new

Noob can’t figure out how to wire motor...

KindaBentSouth

Plastic
Hello all, first post.!
So I got my hands on TWO lathes, being as I have wanted a lathe forever, now I need to figure out how the hell to even make them work.’
I got a Heavy 10, which I believe to be early 40’s, and a model a 9” probably from the same time.

I’m looking at the 10 because it has a motor and a chuck and the 9 does not.

So it looks like a small crackhead crawled up into this thing, and had a field day.
Here’s what I’ve got. There doesn’t seem to be a wiring diagram in the motor I’ve heard people reference?
Now I’m severely electronically handicapped to the point of mild retardation. So please speak in lamens terms..
What do I do??
Thank you in advance.

Wait, how do I post pics?

Hello all, first post.!
So I got my hands on TWO lathes, being as I have wanted a lathe forever, now I need to figure out how the hell to even make them work.’
I got a Heavy 10, which I believe to be early 40’s, and a model a 9” probably from the same time.

I’m looking at the 10 because it has a motor and a chuck and the 9 does not.

So it looks like a small crackhead crawled up into this thing, and had a field day.
Here’s what I’ve got. There doesn’t seem to be a wiring diagram in the motor I’ve heard people reference?
Now I’m severely electronically handicapped to the point of mild retardation. So please speak in lamens terms..
What do I do??
Thank you in advance.

Wait, how do I post pics?

Pay the toll!

With pictures.
You can load them on phone, set your phone settings to “request desktop website” and refresh you page once or twice.

But check the wires themselves, since your lathe is very old the wires will be very dark or even black so use a very bright light and look CLOOOOOSE at the wires for numbers.

Also tell us how many wires are coming out of the motor

With the pics, we kind of need to determine if this lathe has a single phase or 3 phase motor.

Since you're asking, I will guess you are not set up for 3 phase.

If it does indeed have a 3 phase motor. You have a couple of choices. Change motor to a single phase. Or add a 3 phase convertor to your shop's single phase power supply.

Pay the toll!

With pictures.
You can load them on phone, set your phone settings to “request desktop website” and refresh you page once or twice.

But check the wires themselves, since your lathe is very old the wires will be very dark or even black so use a very bright light and look CLOOOOOSE at the wires for numbers.

Also tell us how many wires are coming out of the motor

Here we go with pics
Photobucket

Home electricity is single phase. Lights and outlets use a single hot wire at 110V to 120V. The other two wires in an outlet would a Neutral wire, and a ground wire. Though single phase, homes have TWO hot wire legs, seperate and distinct. Two hot wires can be used on stoves, electric dryers, and hot water heaters.

3 phase uses three seperate and distinct hot wires.

Your motor is single phase. It can be configured for either one single hot wire at 115v, or two hot wires for 230v. And most likely needs a neutral wire as well. An additional ground wire in green, or bare copper would add extra protection from shock or shorts. Neutral is typically a white wire from power supply.

From power supply of a single phase system, black, red, or black with a red stripe are usually hot wires.

The fuse box on machine is a 3 phase fuse box, but can be used for just one or two hot wires, leaving the other blank.

The power switch on machine is also 3 phase, but can be used, just using one or two hot wires.

As to the labeling of the wires in motor, I don't know without seeing. If you took pics prior to disconnect or see some labeling that would be great.

Home electricity is single phase. Lights and outlets use a single hot wire at 110V to 120V. The other two wires in an outlet would a Neutral wire, and a ground wire. Though single phase, homes have TWO hot wire legs, seperate and distinct. Two hot wires can be used on stoves, electric dryers, and hot water heaters.

3 phase uses three seperate and distinct hot wires.

Your motor is single phase. It can be configured for either one single hot wire at 115v, or two hot wires for 230v. And most likely needs a neutral wire as well. An additional ground wire in green, or bare copper would add extra protection from shock or shorts. Neutral is typically a white wire from power supply.

From power supply of a single phase system, black, red, or black with a red stripe are usually hot wires.

The fuse box on machine is a 3 phase fuse box, but can be used for just one or two hot wires, leaving the other blank.

The power switch on machine is also 3 phase, but can be used, just using one or two hot wires.

As to the labeling of the wires in motor, I don't know without seeing. If you took pics prior to disconnect or see some labeling that would be great.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...peg?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill

I get "password protected album" when I click your photobucket link.

Load them here instead of on some useless remote web site that wants me to pay to use.
When you say load them here, I don’t see an option. I’m so sorry, I’m usually decent at this.

You won’t have a way to load pics from mobile website but if you have a decent cell phone then you can switch to “desktop website” using mobile phone and post pics.

That looks like a single phase 110/220 motor.

Should have only 2 or 3 wires. 2 hots and a ground.

You can run it on home 110v single phase with a hot and neutral wire + or - a ground wire

You won’t have a way to load pics from mobile website but if you have a decent cell phone then you can switch to “desktop website” using mobile phone and post pics.

That looks like a single phase 110/220 motor.

Should have only 2 or 3 wires. 2 hots and a ground.

You can run it on home 110v single phase with a hot and neutral wire + or - a ground wire

It has 5 wires, all starting with a T. This picture thing is pissing me off. I may have to move to laptop

You can only post bb code pics here if you’ve uploaded them full size from pc.

If your loading pics on Mobile it’s possible but smaller, you can only load on mobile using the option to request desktop site

I’ve requested desktop site like 30 times. It’s totally fat-chickin’ me on this

Back