What's new
What's new

Noob SB9C back gear question

Coyotebrown

Plastic
New to the forum and rebuilding a lathe. I have a SB9C I’m rebuilding. While tearing it down I discovered the back gear (small gear) has one tooth broke off. I’ve seen the repair kit post and may go that way depending on the consensus of responses.

My question: How much of a problem or issue is one tooth on the back gear going to cause during normal use for a hobbyists lathe?

Thanks, any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I ran mine with a broken tooth for a year until I bought a replacement. I got lucky and didn't 'lean' on the thing with the broken tooth. I recently bought the Tommy1010 replacement gear for $45 and put it in with great results. Buy the replacement gear or a back gear gear from ebay. Eventually I'll sell the original shaft I got on ebay with the good as cast gears.

Since you are rebuilding the machine, NOW would be the time to to fix it with the kit.
You are unlikely to tear it apart later, and could do further damage.
Just saying.

PMc

You can probably run it with one broken tooth. However, if you continue to run it that way and forget that you have a problem while taking a heavy cut using back gears, pretty soon you'll have 2 broken teeth. Fix it now or don't use the back gears. The problem will not go away and will only get worse.

Thanks for the inputs all. I think I’ll take Chipss and Mcload’s advice and get one of the replacement gears installed now. I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Back