What's new
What's new

Noobie with SB 13" and some questions

skate1

Plastic
Hello Everyone This is my first post on PM. Though I took some community college machining classes quite a few years ago, I am no machinist. I'm just a noobie with the basic drift of how things go in machining. Recently I purchased my first lathe. It's a SB 13" Tool Room Lathe made in 1956. Same age as me. The ways have wear groves and at this point I am trying to decide weather to scrap this machine or return it to good operating condition.(what I'm hoping for) I notice I can pull up on the hand wheel on the apron and the front of the apron will move up about .070. This shouldn't be this way should it? Can I fix this or will it hurt anything as it is? I have not operated this lathe under power. The spindle seems tight and turns smoothly though. My idea is to get this running without to much repair/exp (and I think I can do that) so I can turn some test bars. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thank You

Model# CL8175B
Serial# 5184TKX12
year made 1956
5' bed
D1-4 Spindle
serial card says Hard-bed,screws,ts. spindle
two speed moter
1.5 HP 220V 3 phase
3 cone
Taper attachment

Welcome to the forum.

First off, I believe it is spelled newbie. :-)

Secondly, pulling up on the apron means nothing. Cutting forces push down. There is a bolt on top of the apron that locks it in place. If you want, you can leave it just tight enough that it won't impede travel but will keep the apron from lifting but it really doesn't matter.

Teryk

not saying it doesn't happen but if it's a hard bed serious wear grooves would be unusual...unless someone was using it with a toolpost grinder constantly or something.

Pics??

Hello Teryk Thanks for replying to my post and providing the answer I needed. Merry Xmas
Welcome to the forum.

First off, I believe it is spelled newbie. :-)

Secondly, pulling up on the apron means nothing. Cutting forces push down. There is a bolt on top of the apron that locks it in place. If you want, you can leave it just tight enough that it won't impede travel but will keep the apron from lifting but it really doesn't matter.

Teryk

Hi tailstock Thanks for replying to my post and the good words about HRL. I have a copy and also downloaded from the links provided. I need to get reading it some more. Merry Xmas

Hi wananew10k I was wondering about the tool post grinding on it to. With my lack of experience I dont know how bad the wear groves are. I will try to figure out how to post some pics here. Thanks for replying to my post and Merry Xmas
not saying it doesn't happen but if it's a hard bed serious wear grooves would be unusual...unless someone was using it with a toolpost grinder constantly or something.

Pics??

Back