What's new
What's new

O.T. WWII Book

I was just on Amazon and read the 'intro'. I strongly suspect that your father and mine were in that part of the world at the same time. My Dad arrived at Savo Island, right across the bay from Guadalcanel, in Aug. '43 with PT Sqn. 9 as a Motor Machinsts Mate 2nd. Then went up through the Gilberts and Carolines.

But I don't have much info 'cause Dad wouldn't talk about that. He did share about the boats, but not any actions.

I've put your book on my Wish List and can't wait to read it!

Pete

Gary -

I'm glad to see your book. Having known many men who had similar experiences I know how hard it was for many of them to talk about different parts of what they did and saw during WWII. It is good we have at least a few of those stories to remind us of what, in our cases, our fathers and uncles went through. And a few female relatives as well - had one Aunt who was an Army nurse.

Dale

I met a number of my dad's Army buddies and knew one of them quite well. The book also is about my uncle. My dad met my uncle (my mother's brother) on New Guinea and they became friends. My uncle was KIA on Luzon and was awarded both the bronze star and silver star for his actions.

Gary -

I read the book about your Dad in WW2. Amazing stories. You did a good job on the book and I enjoyed reading it.

Tom

Gary, Thanks for this book. I have always admired and respected those young boys who became men during WWII. For some reason the Pacific area interested me more. Since I'm retired and now living in the Philippines I always enjoy reading these stories and try to visit sites where battles occurred trying to envision what it must have been like at that time. So much has changed here but so much is still the same also. Thanks again for writing this book.

How far are you from Baguio? I was told that they left the bullet holes that my dad and his platoon put in the church while they rescued the hostages as a memorial to God grace for the hostages. However, that was a long time ago and I wonder if they ever repaired the damage to the inside of the church. It is funny that when I looked at current photos of the Catholic Cathedral it is so built up around it but the photos from 1945 looks like it was out in the country.

Back