What's new
What's new

Odd SB on local CL

MetalCarnage

Stainless
I believe this is an old SB anyway. It's history is probably pretty questionable considering some of the odd things I see on it.

Two things in this pic, the abortion of tooling sticking out of the tailstock and it looks like there is an electric motor attached to the cross slide screw.

OddSB01.jpg

The main odd thing (not the oil reserve or the white wired thing hanging down) is the combination 2x4/large spring to provide belt tension? Oh, and the chuck that is over size for this lathe.

OddSB02.jpg

Okay, more detail here. Huge oil reserve but only on one of the bearings? You can see how well that drill chuck sits in the tailstock, dangly thing with wires, and better shot of motor on cross slide screw.
OddSB03.jpg

Finally, a better shot of the dangly wired thing. Looks like some kind of switch attached to a white cylinder maybe going to the cross slide motor? Not sure what is the intent with that.

OddSB04.jpg

The text with the ad:
Metal Lathe $500. Will easily fit in you garage or shop. Works as it should, smooth & quiet. Powered by 110 volts and a standard plug. Belt driven w/adjustable belt positions. 3 jaw chuck, power feed forward and reverse. Cutting tool holder. Comes with drilling chuck and a couple cutting tools. Delivery to your curb in Omaha available.

Any comments?

-Ron

does not look like any southbend i've seen yet.

the motor on the cross slide looks similar to a type of gear motor used to drive variable transformers remotely, i have a couple of them.

tailstock drill chuck arbor looks like something setup for a custom task as it sticks out far too far for any real purpose. probably a lathe setup for facing something.

you will likely find the cross slide completely worn out. my lathe was used for a similar task, the bed had .022" drop but only over a 6-9 inch long section, with .003" concave in the cross slide. you might find the bed fine.. but the cross slide worn out.

the gearing to drive the leadscrew appears to be of 20 degree pressure angle and the teeth appear to be larger than the gear teeth on the back gear. usually its the other way around.

the lack of a reversing tumbler suggests the gearing is not original.

the shims on the bearings are certainly not original.

Allan, I agree, it appears to be a 1911 or 1912 Model 24, 9 inch Pedal lathe, I can see the treadle mount bar on the rear leg still there.

Steve

Oh yes, it is a Pre-WW1 SB. The serial appears to be 1286, which would be early 1912 or so.

allan

For sure a very early SB. Motor riged on cross feed because it is pre geared cross feed. Left side oil port is open, may have had another rigged like the right hand one. note the wire on the back gear lever. The one I used in 6th grade metals class had the same feature. It would pop out of back gear at will.

I know this is a 2019 thread, but I just acquired a very similar lathe. It's serial number is 2460. I assume it's also a pre-war machine. It's missing the countershaft, countershaft brackets and opposing flat-belt pulley. This machine is a bit shorter than the link to the one above. The bed is about 40" or so. If there is somebody here who could tell me where I might find replacement parts or a manual, I'd be very grateful!

IMG_0429.jpg

The only "manual" there ever was - you might find one older than this 1928 version

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

have fun

I know this is a 2019 thread, but I just acquired a very similar lathe. It's serial number is 2460. I assume it's also a pre-war machine. It's missing the countershaft, countershaft brackets and opposing flat-belt pulley. This machine is a bit shorter than the link to the one above. The bed is about 40" or so. If there is somebody here who could tell me where I might find replacement parts or a manual, I'd be very grateful!

View attachment 306024

View attachment 306024

You can put a WTB ad in the parts section here and maybe get lucky, beyond that search on ebay.

Back