What's new
What's new

Oddball 1 7/8" x 8 TPI Faceplate - oversize dia.

Rudd

Stainless
I ended up with this faceplate, it will *not* fit over the front flat way on a SB13, which as far as I know is the only lathe that used that thread. The faceplate is 13-9/16" in diameter. There are no casting identification numbers on it, but it appears very well made. The only thing I can figure is that it was for the pre-WWII 13" that had the optional riser blocks, or it's a very nicely done home-made casting for someone willing to butcher the ways on a standard 13".
I'm faced with (see what I did there) trying to take about 5/8" off the diameter, which I can do on the horizontal mill, or getting rid of it.
I thought before I butchered it I'd throw this out for curiosity - maybe someone has one of those 13's on riser blocks.

IMG_0412.jpgIMG_0411.jpg

I ended up with this faceplate, it will *not* fit over the front flat way on a SB13, which as far as I know is the only lathe that used that thread. The faceplate is 13-9/16" in diameter. There are no casting identification numbers on it, but it appears very well made. The only thing I can figure is that it was for the pre-WWII 13" that had the optional riser blocks, or it's a very nicely done home-made casting for someone willing to butcher the ways on a standard 13".
I'm faced with (see what I did there) trying to take about 5/8" off the diameter, which I can do on the horizontal mill, or getting rid of it.
I thought before I butchered it I'd throw this out for curiosity - maybe someone has one of those 13's on riser blocks.

View attachment 186312View attachment 186313

Ummhh.. South Bend 'branded' in the casting?

Hope it isn't news that SB were not the only lathe makers ever to use a threaded spindle nose..?

Don't butcher it. Peddle it. Some other Pilgrim running a lathe it fits is 'out there'.

Bill

Title of my post is "Oddball 1 7/8" x 8 TPI Faceplate - oversize dia. "
Tell me another lathe maker that 1 7/8" x 8 threads as I stated in my post. One that made a lathe that would swing this thing, this would help finding a user. Not only "There are no casting identification numbers on it", there is no marking on it anywhere.
I specifically posted this to see if anyone wanted it.

I believe there were Hendey lathes with the 1 7/8 thread. That plate does not look like a wood lathe plate.

Last edited:
I have a pre-WWII 13" SB and will take a measurement.
Do you need a faceplate 1 7/8"-8? I have one recently 'found in the wild' that may be an extra.
John

I may be able to turn that odd plate down on my 13" regal. I have a face plate for it and it has about 6 3/4 center height from the ways. It will run 25 RPM. Not perfect but with a light feed would do it. What is the diameter of the plate close as possible?

Rudd,
know we are a year late on this we have a sb16 with the 1 7/8 thread and could use this.
let us know will ya? email us or pm thanks
thanks

Hi Rudd,
I am the pilgrim running a British Made Murad lathe with 1 7/8" x 8 TPI spindle. The lathe is old, mid forties but solid as a rock.
Look up Murad, there is a website, and I think the great grandson of Mr Murad now lives in the USA.
If you have no use for the face plate I would be very interested in purchasing it.
John

Back