What's new
What's new

Oddball catalog number

Rudd

Stainless
A 13 has popped up hear me, it has a catalog number beginning with CL0.
So CL should be threaded spindle. It has a D1-4. Serial number chart has it being built in 1968 or so.
The third character is always a "1" for an engine lathe, or "8" for toolroom. The beast has a TA.
I'm trying to figure out if this is a frankenlathe. Any thoughts?

cat number.JPG

Last edited:
I was looking at a 10K with catalog number CL0770R.
I never figured out what the 0 meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that SB went to a 4 digit identifier for their lathes around 1968 or so. That means that for a 13" lathe, the first number (third digit) would either be a "0" or "8", with the "8" signifying a toolroom version. For a 10K, the "0" is just a place holder.

AFAIK, the CL doesn't signify the D1-4 spindle. In 1968, the D1-4 was a separate line item on the purchase order, so your spindle may be original. The model number doesn't reflect the spindle type, but your serial number might (they do on the 10L, but not sure on a 13).

At least by 1968, flame hardening was standard.

A 13 has popped up hear me, it has a catalog number beginning with CL0.
So CL should be threaded spindle. It has a D1-4. Serial number chart has it being built in 1968 or so.
The third character is always a "1" for an engine lathe, or "8" for toolroom. The beast has a TA.
I'm trying to figure out if this is a frankenlathe. Any thoughts?

View attachment 272163

IF this index plate is original, then the machine was made in 1975 or later.
According to Steve Wells, the “O” means that it has a D1-4 spindle. I have seen others that had the “O” that did not have that spindle. On those machines, I think it was a mistake made by the guy stamping the plate, mistaking the “0”(zero) for a “O”(oh)
Ted

This is the plate for the 10K
48ede84f82908e55ebc525ea49d52eb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to clarify the catalog numbers and stamps for the spindle nose a little better, but Ted is correct, you can see CL "0" (zero's) with a D1-4,this may be errors in stamping, added after the build, field installed, several others come to mind. The change in the invoice sheets, as SLK001 states, added a place holder zero which caused more confusion. For the record, CL was a threaded spindle; CLO(oh)is a D1-3; CLC is a D1-4 and CLK is the L00 long Taper.. Take the 13 that the OP mentioned, if it had a threaded spindle and it was built to the spec sheet, it would be a CL145, if they stamped the place holder it would be a CL0145, if it had a D1-3 it would be a CLO145 and with Long Taper is a CLK145. I have only seen maybe 2 13's listed with a D1-3, most all with a cam lock were D1-4. D1-3's and 4's were common on the 10L. I've started marking the serial numbers that ID The spindle, so we can track the D1-3 and 4's to the CLO, CLC, CLK stamps.

Below is a July 1960 SBL Doc that shows code letters for CLC as cam lock and CLK as LOO spindle codes, I have not found the CLO 3 inch yet, still looking.
IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1500.jpg
and this 10L has a D1-3:
http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_images/22790R.jpg

Very hard to discern the D1-3 and the place holder 0

does this have a cam lock spindle? the chuck part no's start with CB which is cam lock?
http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_cards/sc_20292R.pdf

and does this one, collet set starts with CB?
http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_images/21366R_invoice.jpg
Steve

Well, thanks Steve. If y'all find it confusing, I feel better. Here's another photo from the same machine, with a serial number stamped on an aluminum plate. (?) No shots of the number between the ways.serial.JPG

Back