What's new
What's new

OK, so it's about time I showed up here again. :-)

Raydel

Plastic
Hello All:

Yes, it's been almost a year since I've been around here. A lot has happened since then. Work, life, vacations Covid etc.
But finally, my South Bend 13 has taken on a new appearance and is working like a fine Swiss watch. It was a fabulous experience, but truth be known, this is a project most would attempt once in a lifetime. It was a dirty job, it was frustrating at times, it took a few shekels for replacement parts and several long days of cleaning grunge, stripping paint, etc, etc, you all know the drill. But finally I can post a couple of photos, before and after.
I plan to put together a timeline of the restoration project and maybe post a link here to that, so stay tuned. I promise it wont be another year. :toetap: Thanks to all here that helped and gave advice, your comments have made the project a bit more enjoyable. Photo descriptions: 1: On the U-Haul in my driveway, 2: A few ugly parts missing, 3: One year later, 4: A close up of the fun parts. Much more to come.

Cheers,
Raydel.

Attachments

• 20200803-IMG_20200803_182458.jpg
    20200803-IMG_20200803_182458.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_SB_13.jpg
    IMG_SB_13.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 20200803-IMG_20200803_182553.jpg
    20200803-IMG_20200803_182553.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20190520_152333-1.jpg
    IMG_20190520_152333-1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 219
Hello All:

Yes, it's been almost a year since I've been around here. A lot has happened since then. Work, life, vacations Covid etc.
But finally, my South Bend 13 has taken on a new appearance and is working like a fine Swiss watch. It was a fabulous experience, but truth be known, this is a project most would attempt once in a lifetime. It was a dirty job, it was frustrating at times, it took a few shekels for replacement parts and several long days of cleaning grunge, stripping paint, etc, etc, you all know the drill. But finally I can post a couple of photos, before and after.
I plan to put together a timeline of the restoration project and maybe post a link here to that, so stay tuned. I promise it wont be another year. :toetap: Thanks to all here that helped and gave advice, your comments have made the project a bit more enjoyable. Photo descriptions: 1: On the U-Haul in my driveway, 2: A few ugly parts missing, 3: One year later, 4: A close up of the fun parts. Much more to come.

Cheers,
Raydel.

You have been away so long you forgot how to title a thread so it will not be locked and deleted. Did you do anything to improve the accuracy or is it just a pretty paint job?

You have been away so long you forgot how to title a thread so it will not be locked and deleted. Did you do anything to improve the accuracy or is it just a pretty paint job?

We're laid back and friendly in this section. One of the rules in this section is, you must post a smiley face if you're going to break balls. :D

To Texasgunsmith and MoonlightMachine.

It appears that I may have inadvertently said something that's offensive to some.
For this display of ignorance, I do humbly apologize. Absolutely no intent of malice was ever intended to anyone.
My predicament is, I don't understand what it is in my thread title that was found to be offensive. I these parts,
the comment made in my thread title points the finger squarely at the poster for being lax in communication, not anyone else.
Expressions have different meanings in different cultures, in this case, Canada.
If you were attempting to do something positive and entertaining in public and I told you to "break a leg", you most likely wouldn't take issue with that. In many other cultures not familiar with that expression, people would take offense. I trust this is the situation here. The folks on this forum are a friendly, knowledgeable bunch and I've learnt much from them. One or two have also come to my aid with replacement items during the past year. Why would I have any cause to offend anyone? All that said, please accept my apologies for an act of ignorance and would some kind soul please enlighten me as to how my title was offensive. I would not like to make that error again. ;)

All the best,
Raydel.

Raydel, I just think he means that the title should have more pertinent information in it. Something like Update on my SBxxxx project.
Makes it more searchable for others down the road. Nice job by the way.

Mr Bridgeport

If you're going to apologize, then apologize for being a nice guy, and, and Canadian ! :D:D:D

With you just reintroducing yourself, or like random topic, start title with o/t or "off topic".

You made it clear you were just saying hi, with intention to post a long thread on your build, so the additional comment, paint/accuracy, was just breaking balls.

Moonlightmachine is a pretty good contributor to forums, but spends more time in other sections that get combative.

The South bend and antique/vintage sections are pretty relaxed and friendly.

You get extra props for posting pics :D

Welcome back, very nice work on your lathe. Also, not a criticism, just an observation. Chips are the death of VFD's. Jim

Hi Jim:

I'm not too concerned about chips, I've made a deal with my wife to store this thing in our living room. :D:D:D
Just kidding of course.;) Flying chips never crossed my mind, thanks for alerting me on that hazard. Now that I'm aware of it,
I can take adequate precautions. You just may have saved my an evening of fireworks. :D

Wow that is absolutely beautiful! Welcome back! Curious, what part of Canada? I'm just across the border from you, just north of Buffalo.

Hi pavt:

Not too far away, I'm an east suburb of Toronto, the town of Ajax (like the foaming cleanser) :D
Takes an hour and a half in good traffic to drive to Rainbow bridge.
PM me if you wish.
Cheers,
Raydel

You know, I thought I typed slowly. I think you're going for the world record ! :D

You get us all hot and bothered, waiting for that thread you promised. . . Then nothing. . .

It's the tool post isn't it ? Tell the truth. You want to hoard all its particulars to yourself, don't you ? :D

Hi Jim:

I'm not too concerned about chips, I've made a deal with my wife to store this thing in our living room. :D:D:D
Just kidding of course.;) Flying chips never crossed my mind, thanks for alerting me on that hazard. Now that I'm aware of it,
I can take adequate precautions. You just may have saved my an evening of fireworks. :D

I think you could craft a slip over “sock” for the vfd of some kind of loose knit filter almost like a air cleaner pre filter and just put it on the vfd when you use it. I would use a very breathable filter cloth and then just remove it when not in use so you can just stare at this lathes natural beauty!

I am with Tex! Tell us how you like the tool post!!

Back