What's new
What's new

Old, Large South Bend Lathe. Info Wanted

wowsk

Plastic
We have been cleaning out at my great-uncle's place and finally got to where we can get to the large South Bend lathe in the back of his shop. Grandpa thought it was never hooked up to the 3-phase converter, but on closer inspection we realized it was. Needless to say the last few days my cousin and I have been getting it lubed up and figuring out all of the controls. There is a very information video on YouTube from the 40s all about using a South Bend lathe.

I am attaching some pics, but it is hard to get decent pics in the back of the shed. I wondered if anyone had any info on this model. From some other searches it looks like a Silent V Series 'O' from the 30s. Is this correct and does anyone have more information about it? It is quite large, the bed is 10' and the ways to the center of the chuck is about 10". My cousin and I want to practice turning some shafting down on it. Any advice for us?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Noah

lathe1.jpglathe2.jpglathe3.jpglathe4.jpg

That PDF helped me figure out some more stuff with it today. It seems very comprehensive.

Yes, my great-uncle you might say was a collector of lathes. Since he passed earlier this year we have sold 2 lathes. He has 2 12" Craftsman that he used a lot, but never used this big South Bend much or the 14" American that is in the shop too. Also was a hoarder and as long as I've known these lathes have been too covered with junk to use. We have plenty of shafting to practice cutting.

Today I trued the chuck that is on it. It is a 3 jaw combination, which makes it tough to stay true. We've got a standard 3 jaw that I'd like to put on it, but we can't get this one off. Is there a trick to getting the chuck off or is it just rusted on and needs some persuasion?

Another question, the cutter is not centered with the tailstock in the z-axis (EDIT: After reading more I meant the y-axis, sorry still learning). Is it OK to put shims below the cutter to get it centered?

Thanks for all of the help. I am very new to this and want to learn more.
Noah

Last edited:
Is it OK to put shims below the cutter to get it centered?

Not just okay - you have too - one way or the other

I'll bet the 1928 HTRAL linked above has something to say about that.

Suggestion - drop the references to AXIS - notice no such in this pub - which as you say - is very comprehensive

When you get down that way - see if you can come up with serial so it can be dated. Location like so. It will be simply 4 or 5 digits

SB serial location.jpg

As to which, it's possible that it is a 71 (18") or a 73 (21") from 1923

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/17756.pdf

have fun

The serial number is 32892N we are sorting through all of the cutters my uncle had. That document really helps to determine what certain cutters are used for.

I finally got pics of the American. It was a tooling lathe up at the International Harvester factory in Moline. The South Bend came from the IH dealer here in town when they closed. Not sure if they bought it new.
IMG_0548.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpg

The serial number is 32892N we are sorting through all of the cutters my uncle had. That document really helps to determine what certain cutters are used for.

I finally got pics of the American. It was a tooling lathe up at the International Harvester factory in Moline. The South Bend came from the IH dealer here in town when they closed. Not sure if they bought it new.
View attachment 306463View attachment 306464View attachment 306465

Looks like it may have been around before the Pacemaker. Style of tail stock is about the same though. Clutch handle off the lower right of apron to engage the spindle. Still has a steady rest at end of bed too.

Great thanks for the info about the American. We hadn't been able to find model number or anything and it is easier to get to the South Bend at the moment. Yesterday I printed off the cutter guide from one of the manuals and posted it above the lathe so I remember what cutters to use and how to align them. I was able to find a pretty good right hand cutter and used it to face and stock piece and turn it down, just as practice. With a little help from the file it turned out pretty nice (granted not much to it). I look forward to learning more about both.

texasgunsmith - We have the steady rest for the South Bend too. It along with other tooling is underneath the lathe.

We hadn't been able to find model number or anything

Serial on the ATW is in an unusual place - on the vertical front face of front way right end - you have to crouch down a bit to see it well.

Example on a Pacemaker - which was good about putting the last two digits to indicate year made

ATW Serial Location.jpg

Your 12 speed High Duty may just have the five digits

View attachment 306463View attachment 306464View attachment 306465

that beast deserves a full restore

Serial on the ATW is in an unusual place - on the vertical front face of front way right end - you have to crouch down a bit to see it well.

Example on a Pacemaker - which was good about putting the last two digits to indicate year made

View attachment 306477

Your 12 speed High Duty may just have the five digits

No wonder I couldn't find anything. I had to scrape off a couple layers of paint to find it. Anyway serial number is 60549.

Thanks again,
Noah

And that is 1936

That American has the aesthetics of the UP Big Boy 4014. It represents the pinnacle of early 20th-century US industrial design. If nothing else it should be preserved as a great example, so future generations can benefit from it. But beyond that, I bet it is an awesome lathe in its own right.

Back