What's new
What's new

Thread gear info on a sb 9" junior standard lathe

svmade

Plastic
I have a sb 9" R junior standard gear change lathe 1937 model. My thread plate does not show idler gear changes just the stud and screw gear numbers? I have the gear change set. The current screw gear is marked 9-42-J and the idler gear marked 9-36-J. None of those numbers are on my thread card? I do not have any pics of how this is supposed to work? Anyone have a pic of the gear change's? Please see pics below.

Attachments

• 20190428_223437.jpg
    20190428_223437.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 20190428_223443.jpg
    20190428_223443.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20190428_223457.jpg
    20190428_223457.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190428_223544.jpg
    20190428_223544.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190428_223549.jpg
    20190428_223549.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 93
you are set up for a fine FEED rate....the chart is only concerning threads.

you are fortunate to have gears for fine feed.

good looking Jr.:)

Follow the reverse handle down - its pointed at stud gear

Big gear most to right and down is screw gear

Currently you are COMPOUNDED for fine feed

This involves two planes of gears

Threading set ups on your lathe involve a single plane of gears

For this purpose there are SPACERS so you can adjust a gear's position from one plane to the adjacent plane

Take all off that is on there - stud gear down to screw gear.

Put on and position the stud and screw gears (listed on your chart) to cut the thread you want. Use the spacers so these two gears share the same plane

Put in a BIG GEAR - also in same plane - to act as an idler and connect (mesh with) the stud to the screw gear - its tooth count is of no consequence as long as it does its "connecting" job

You are now set up to cut threads

You may benefit from this great 1927 pub - a good page to address this subject is PDF 92

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Attachments

• 9 JR GEARING.jpg
    9 JR GEARING.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Simple and Compounded.jpg
    Simple and Compounded.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Follow the reverse handle down - its pointed at stud gear

Big gear most to right and down is screw gear

Currently you are COMPOUNDED for fine feed

This involves two planes of gears

Threading set ups on your lathe involve a single plane of gears

For this purpose there are SPACERS so you can adjust a gear's position from one plane to the adjacent plane

Take all off that is on there - stud gear down to screw gear.

Put on and position the stud and screw gears (listed on your chart) to cut the thread you want. Use the spacers so these two gears share the same plane

Put in a BIG GEAR - also in same plane - to act as an idler and connect the stud to the screw gear

You are now set up to cut threads

You may benefit from this great 1927 pub - a good page to address this subject is PDF 92

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Thank you for the reply and I see now as I was wondering about the undocumented large gears. It does run nice and fine when feeding. I copied your instructions for when I do some threading.

That's a really nice looking 9 Jr. I have one and it's a good solid lathe.

Do yourself and your lathe a favor: Take all the gears you have and clean them to remove any dirt and stray chips from them. Lubricate them ONLY with regular oil of the type you use for the lathe bed---or even engine oil if you prefer. Do not use grease on the gears because it attracts and holds dirt and metal chips which are not good for gears.

Thread dial indicator?

Just a question on threading for you. My junior does not have a thread dial nor any spot to put one. Has anyone ever installed one on my lathe? Wondering if I was to drill and tap a location for the bolt and get a new indicator like I have seen on ebay. Pics show my location.

Attachments

• 20190501_124741.jpg
    20190501_124741.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190501_124818.jpg
    20190501_124818.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
Just a question on threading for you. My junior does not have a thread dial nor any spot to put one. Has anyone ever installed one on my lathe? Wondering if I was to drill and tap a location for the bolt and get a new indicator like I have seen on ebay. Pics show my location.

Certainly - could be the pad for when the stop is used that end - could be braced off a wiper screw if thought necessary. Thread dials are about the least hard working lathe parts I can think of

I think so also. Looking at a cheaper 3D printed dial with a simple pin that goes into a hole and the dial has location for a locking screw. Just swing it back off the lead screw when not needed. Small hole to press or glue the pin. Only problem is I have a lead screw that is .75 x 8t and have asked the seller if it would still work. They say works for 9" c, a an others. but want to make sure for $50.

Attachments

• s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 34
Seeing as you have the same lathe, do you know if the head stock oilers on top are supposed to have the oiler wicks? On mine you can see the bearing inside.

Hey good Idea. Not sure what the spring deal is for but I think the felt plug is a good idea. I wonder however if the junior was designed to not have any restriction? Maybe some one out there could tell us if the felt wick system was used on the 1937 9" R Junior?

Back