What's new
What's new

Old Southbend Junior #9 metal lathe

KathyA

Plastic
I’m interested in selling my dads metal lathe. It has accessories and parts. Needs cleaned up. I had to put it in storage when we sold there house. Really do t know how to go about selling this. Hopefully someone on here can help guide me on this

I’m interested in selling my dads metal lathe. It has accessories and parts. Needs cleaned up. I had to put it in storage when we sold there house. Really do t know how to go about selling this. Hopefully someone on here can help guide me on this

Go to your local craigslist website and search for "lathe" to look at how others sell them. That should give you a good idea!

craigslist | kentucky

Do photographs. CLEAN. Similar to selling a house. Abrasive-free waterless hand cleaner, NO WATER is a safe and easy way to remove oil and dirt. I use "Goop" brand and a shoe-polish dauber.

Don't worry about a bit of rust. We know how to deal with that and not damage fine fits. Please do NOT sandpaper it nor go at it with steel wool or Scotchbrite abrasive pads.

Remove debris, scraps of metal, etc.. Old paintbrush. Cheap "chip" brush pak from Big Box. Cuttings are sharp. Can cut you if bare-handed.

Include related tooling.

Hang poster board, paper or plastic dropcloth, tarp, or tablecloth as backdrop.

Do not show it buried in, backdropped by, nor adjacent to the usual distracting "stuff". most especially if it had been neglected, gone trashy and dusty, declining years.

One GOOD shot from each of several angles, not three the same angle from different distance.

Use only the sharp ones, not poor focus.

Post here for "draft if you can. Other South Bender's can guide you, may be interested themselves, or know someone who is.

I appreciate all this information, especially on how to clean it up. I had to store my fathers complete workshop plus wood. I will use your advice and clean it up and take pictures. Thanks again for your help

I appreciate all this information, especially on how to clean it up. I had to store my fathers complete workshop plus wood. I will use your advice and clean it up and take pictures. Thanks again for your help

John's catalog links will help you ascertain - and quickly - what goes with it and what are lawmower engine or tall clock parts - or "whatever".

MOST "non-users" are better at grasping that a trashy look is not helpful to getting an item sold.

We who USE machine tools are actually the worst offenders at showing them dirty and cluttered!

I'm sure you will do fine!

SB's - all eras - are popular for their ease of transport and ability to do a lot of decent work.. so long as the user is as patient as they are skilled.

Or a great deal "more so"!

:D

Back