What's new
What's new

old southbend lathes

cryplydog

Plastic
Hello all, this is my 3rd post I think and I am very thankful for all the knowledge and information I have been able to secure here on P/M. I have 2 old S/B lathes that have been sitting for 20 years or so. One is a 10-KAR8,with 42" length that I recently disassembled and power washed decades of HARD crud and dirt and replaced several parts etc. I have new brass wear nuts for the cross screw and the compound screw. I am lucky to have all the support parts with it, chucks 3 and 4 jaw and face plate, with steady and follow rest and the taper attachment. I purchased 3 books that are on this forum and am very happy that I can now refurbish and restore these two lathes for my mach/fab/welding shop now that I am retired. Now my next question is my older southbend R model #2577 and is a gap bed in need of a apron worm wheel #77,I don't need the clutch cone as the threads are worn badly on the worm wheel and it jumps the teeth om the worm shaft. As before, I am asking for any help or information that will lead me to the clutch worm wheel or someone that can weld up and cut new threads on my clutch gear (as I call it). also, I can't seem to find any information on what year group this R-2577 is. I love my old bridgeport,lathes,drillpresses as well as many other older pcs. of my collection. Thank you all very much. God Bless the USA. John.

For greater help, I highly recommend posting pics. We all don't know catalog or model numbers off the top of our head, but we know the machines or pieces when we see it.

I also suggest hitting the enter button a couple of times between each topic or point, to make paragraghs. Some of us have old eyes, and short memories :D. Getting through a wall of text and remembering what. . .ah what was I talking about ?

I don't personally know the worm gear parts you need, but if we can get pics of the machine, as well pics of the pieces you need, I think we can figure it out.

May as well start near the beginning

Link you click on is 1913 catalog - thanks to Mr. Wells

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1913_catalog/1913_catalog.pdf

Gaps shown page 20 and 21

Apron worm shown page 35

All this old stuff is Series O - discontinued late nineteen thirties, so good luck on the worm - and yes, #77 is a Series O worm wheel on No. 17-C Parts List. Of course there is more to it than that - like size (swing) of lathe.

Here is another link to a thread related to cutting Diametral Pitch worms on a South Bend - which requires special gearing

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ing-make-hobs-245474/?highlight=Model+gearing

have fun

thanks guys, so far you have been very helpful in my search. so far i have learned that this lathe model 2577-rr is actually a model -0- and the R designation means transposed apron and that is what I have. The radius of the chuck is 6-3/4" to the closest lathe way and I think that could be indicative of a 13" swing. The chuck is 10" in diameter and the bed is a Gap Bed. This lathe has cross and longitudinal feed. I would like to find a usable clutch worm gear that has the taper clutch surface in usable condishion. I have a very good old lathe that I am trying to save. Thank you Texasgunsmith and johnoder, you have been extremely helpful. cryplydog, any other comments would be greaty apreciated. Please excuse my misspelling. My computer skills are limited buy my age.

If the feed clutch worm has good features on the OD but has the cone surfaces degraded, one can bore it out and silver solder in new material, and then re-cut the cone to spec.

clutch worm wheel

Thanks for the reply Jim, my clutch worm wheel has the threads worn and diminished to the point they get no contact with the lead screw worm that turns it. the inner taper is fine and works good. I hope to find a usable replacement clutch worm gear.I will try to get this thing removed this week and have someone help me get a pictuer posted. Thanks all

have someone help me get a pictuer posted

Might help

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...res-south-bend-forum-372508/?highlight=photos

have fun

Though no one seems to answer the sort of question in Post #3 here:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...istory/sidney-metal-lathe-380638/#post3600269

Probably because it has to do with the "phone" and the various "apps" (such as Tap-a-talk) that have to do with posting photos

I take photos with my phone, but would never attempt posting anything with it. The "phone" photos go to the desk top for proper (for me) processing ( sizing/cropping/captioning ) and posting

Back