What's new
What's new

Oldest Motor Challenge 1939

Vandegraaff

Plastic
My 10R with original Westinghouse 1939, 220/440v 1/2 HP, 3 phase motor. Unusual, pre-ZERK, grease fittings which I replaced.
Some bearing noise but they don't get hot. Using 1Ph/3Ph VFD. Anybody have something earlier?

I have one of the oldest motors made. It isn't for a South Bend Lathe but it was used on small watch maker and dental lathes. Also used for fans and sewing machines. It was patented in 1880 and on the market for sure in 1882. Mine is set up as an electric fan. It was made by the Electro-Dynamic Co of Philadelphia. mine is one of the oldest known examples of a commercially sold electric fan. The last pic was taken from an add in scientific American from 1882 showing the fan. But remember this exact motor was a lathe motor also. Oh yea it does run :)

Attachments

• CIMG5183.jpg
    CIMG5183.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 113
  • CIMG5184.jpg
    CIMG5184.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 117
  • CIMG5185.jpg
    CIMG5185.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 100
  • CIMG5187.jpg
    CIMG5187.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 111
  • Electro Dynamic Fan Line Drawing.jpg
    Electro Dynamic Fan Line Drawing.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 98
If you are talking about my fan I am a antique fan collector. This particular one just happens to be a crossover into the lathe area. I am always looking for old antique fans. When I found this one it was NOT cheap. The last motor like this to sell on ebay back in 2012 sold for over $4,000 and it was just the motor only. They are REAL rare.

good for you, but looks like you set it up and made the parts to make it like the old fan setup........

still nice to have a motor that old.

wouldn't want to stick you hands out near it though, it will hurt a little....

good for you, but looks like you set it up and made the parts to make it like the old fan setup........

still nice to have a motor that old.

wouldn't want to stick you hands out near it though, it will hurt a little....

Yes I had to reproduce parts for it. As far as I know there are no complete original models of this fan that still exist.

Unbelievable find as it was still powering the 1929 10R, 36" Bed lathe. Dirty but very very light wear. Only 30 mils backlash on cross slide, ways have a few nicks. This was bought by US Navy, and because of its small size, I guess it was on a ww2 ship and then it went to University Arizona. No production use.
I put some light oil to sink into the motor bearings to dissolve old grease, topping it off several days, added zerks, then hit them with 3 shots of lithium grease. Sealed caps so no way to know if I put in enough or too much grease. Only had a 10 deg temp rise in the bearings after 30 minutes running.
THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO

Old electric motors are amazing machines. Im not a collector but I worked in a place with many motors for 40 years.These motors ran 24-7. We put bearings in them about every 5 years and had no failures.The ones with double row bearings (25 HP air compressor) had no wear on them after that time but were replaced anyway.Compressed air was essential to the operation.
Some of the motors they make now aren't worth changing the bearings on. Known as beer can motors....

My 10R with original Westinghouse 1939, 220/440v 1/2 HP, 3 phase motor. Unusual, pre-ZERK, grease fittings which I replaced.
Some bearing noise but they don't get hot. Using 1Ph/3Ph VFD. Anybody have something earlier?

My 16" South Bend has it's original Louis Allis motor in it. 1941 lathe so maybe the motor was from '40? It was exciting to see the logo as I got the grime off of there during a refurb! Motor runs flawlessly!

P1050174.jpg

Here's the other half I touched up the logo because it was damaged but I am so happy to give it the respect it deserves.

P1050218.jpg

P1050230.jpg

P1050234.jpg

Could be older than yours if it got lost on a back shelf for a couple of years somewhere at the factory! :D

Back