What's new
What's new

Opinions & Advice Sought: To Restore Or To Not Restore 1930's 9" South Bend

Brain3z

Plastic
I have acquired an early 1930's 9" South Bend. I like the quality craftsmanship of this American made tool, but am wondering if it's condition is too far gone & its missing too many parts to bother, & that perhaps I oughta just buy a modern import. I'm not sure what all is missing. Definitely the motor & the belt & whatever they're supposed to attach to. There is some pitting on the V-ways, but I'm not sure if it's a killer or if a bit of elbow grease can remedy that. South bend no longer sells new ways. I'm not sure if these need re-grinding or if I can just hand scrape them with a flat stone. I haven't them for flatness or anything like that. They look straight, just some pitting. I've attached pictures of the machine itself from left & right view, as well as a close up on the ways' pitting & the handles, which look well manipulated.IMG_0405.jpgIMG_0404.jpgIMG_0403.jpgIMG_0402.jpgIMG_0401.jpg

Kinda depends on whether it will be USED or just admired. Looks FINE for USING to me

I'd also guess its late thirties, not early - a legible photo of the serial at right end of those front ways can assist in that regard

I agree, that machine looks great and seems ready to use with a proper lube job. You do not want to remove pits, just make sure there are no high spots, which there probably are not. Pits can hold some oil.
Where did you get it? Do they still have the countershaft and or motor somewhere?

Absolutely NOT worth restoring.

Absolutley fine for using...do not attempt to remove pitting Unless you want to hang it on the wall.:)

Was this model capable of screwcutting with change gears?

"Useable", looks to be so.
But since you said " should I just buy an import"- I assume you want a full- function lathe. Power crossfeed, gearbox, screwcutting capabilities.

This one ain't it. Fine for a classic resto if you're into "that".

If you want a real lathe, look for a good condition 9A, 10K or L, or larger if you have the space.

A few years ago, I bought a lathe very similar to this one in age and condition. When I bought mine, I had the same question as you. The advice I received here was to simply oil it up and start using it. I have to say that turned out to be good advice. At some point, I may tear it down and repaint it, but as a working lathe it has served me just fine.

I don't really understand the comment about it not being a "real" lathe. True, it doesn't have power crossfeed or a quick-change gearbox, but aside from that it can do everything a 9A or 10K lathe can, including cutting threads.

A few years ago, I bought a lathe very similar to this one in age and condition. When I bought mine, I had the same question as you. The advice I received here was to simply oil it up and start using it. I have to say that turned out to be good advice. At some point, I may tear it down and repaint it, but as a working lathe it has served me just fine.

I don't really understand the comment about it not being a "real" lathe. True, it doesn't have power crossfeed or a quick-change gearbox, but aside from that it can do everything a 9A or 10K lathe can, including cutting threads.

^^^
"Real" was not meant to be derogatory, only in terms of functionality.
No change gears with it, and if he can find them they'll likely exceed the value of the lathe. No countershaft, no side cover, possibly other parts/repairs needed.

I'd sell it to someone that likes to restore these old classics and get a slightly newer model that would be complete and have full functionality. Having to change gears every time you want to vary feed rate, or screwcutting pitch would be a non-starter for me.

^^^
No change gears with it, and if he can find them they'll likely exceed the value of the lathe. No countershaft, no side cover, possibly other parts/repairs needed.

I'd sell it to someone that likes to restore these old classics and get a slightly newer model that would be complete and have full functionality. Having to change gears every time you want to vary feed rate, or screwcutting pitch would be a non-starter for me.

Ahh, okay. I think I understand where you are coming from now. Thanks for clarifying that.

Kinda depends on whether it will be USED or just admired. Looks FINE for USING to me

I'd also guess its late thirties, not early - a legible photo of the serial at right end of those front ways can assist in that regard

Thank you for the advice. I plan on USING it, not gazing at it. I've cleaned it up more since I took the picture I posted, & I'm feeling more confident in what it could do. The pitting doesn't appear to affect saddle travel, the tail-stock mainly sits on those v-ways. Serial number is 57778.

I agree, that machine looks great and seems ready to use with a proper lube job. You do not want to remove pits, just make sure there are no high spots, which there probably are not. Pits can hold some oil.
Where did you get it? Do they still have the countershaft and or motor somewhere?

I've spent more time with the machine, cleaning it up, and upon further inspection I concur with your reply. Those pits won't affect operation as the saddle relies mainly on a way on the back bottom for its stability. It's the tail-stock that sits on that v-way, and the pitting is so close to the head-stock, it would probably (?) be the rare occasion I'd have the tail that far left. (Now that I've said that, probably my 1st project will require me to put the tail-stock right up against the head ;-)). There doesn't seem to be ANY high spots. There's some dings, stuff that looks like it was a piece of work that got away, not a 100 lb. anvil dropped on it. The proof will be in the cutting, which I haven't done yet because of the motor. It's cleaning up pretty nicely, better than I expected it would. Hopefully the bearings aren't shot or anything nasty lurking. The apron was unsettlingly clean: no chips, piles of oily debris, or stray wrenches, just a little dust. Maybe that's a good sign....

Absolutely NOT worth restoring.

Absolutley fine for using...do not attempt to remove pitting Unless you want to hang it on the wall.:)

GREAT! I concur & have abandoned my seemingly pessimistic position those pits need to be removed. I plan on using the machine, not prettying it up for others to look at (some of those youtube videos of people with 9" South Bends makes it look like they spend ALL their time polishing their antique machine), & don't want to, nor plan on, having it on the wall. Were I to do something so drastic as to necessitate that action, it seems parts are very expensive & just a couple pieces off it would fetch more than I paid for the whole thing. I mean, I guess I "get it:" my last lathe was an import and you could see the quality difference in manufacturing immediately upon comparison (that's how I convinced the wife that I *really* did need another massive piece of machinery "look at the quality, honey!").

Was this model capable of screwcutting with change gears?

"Useable", looks to be so.
But since you said " should I just buy an import"- I assume you want a full- function lathe. Power crossfeed, gearbox, screwcutting capabilities.

This one ain't it. Fine for a classic resto if you're into "that".

If you want a real lathe, look for a good condition 9A, 10K or L, or larger if you have the space.

Thanks for the sage advice! I'm not interested in all the power & screw-cutting capabilities. I mostly do prototyping, custom-designed one-offs (why buy when you can make), & manufacturing parts for *other* machines that break-down. My prior lathe had all those goodies & I RARELY used them. I did have a friend engage the power feed out of sheer laziness, drove the saddle into the head-stock, stripping the gears, & chipping a chuck-jaw. When I need bolts. I just go buy them. I also don't need anything like CNC or exact motor-speed control. I turn feed-knobs by hand, & only need a handful of speeds to handle various materials. It's not a production environment requiring high feed rates.

Thanks for the 1st-hand anecdote! I'm going to follow the advice offered you, & seemingly similar in the responses to my post. After I clean it up a bit more, rig up the drive motor (that whole assembly didn't come with the lathe), I'm going to start cutting.

I don't really need to cut threads. I wouldn't mind more swing over the saddle, & I could definitely see bumping up against that limitation in machine size, but it's got more swing than my prior lathe. I would LOVE a huge machine. The bigger, the better. "There's no such thing as 'too much' lathe." I sometimes mutter randomly while creatively making something. I'm limited by floor space (my garage), my power (single-phase), & my wife's tolerance for big, dangerous, confusing-looking contraptions of dubious utility (to her), that cost more than the new clothes washer she wants, & consume precious garage-floor space that could otherwise be used for cars & such. Those are my limitations. Plus the weight. I need something a couple strong dudes can move. 500 lbs. = okay. 5000 lbs. < okay.

^^^

Yeah, I guess I'm in fence-straddling position here: I don't really need power feed, so not concerned with gear-changes; & yet I'm also not into restoring old stuff as a hobby. I want a machine for turning metal. Basic functionality is fine, so long as there's some decent precision & accuracy in the cuts.

For me tools are there to get work done, to magnify my capabilities. Restoring stuff for the sake, or glory, or whatever of making an old thing new again as a measure of prowess & a source of pride is not really my thing. I'm not super big on sending my $$$ overseas, though. That's something I pay A LOT of attention to, source country of products, & I pay more to buy American every chance I get. I gots a pecking order: U.S. (I want my neighbors to remain employed), then Germany + Japan (good quality), Taiwan (U.S. ally & very pro-U.S., big stable air-craft carrier in the west Pacific Ocean), other non-German European countries next (there's another whole pecking order there, Swiss on top, France on the bottom), then all of Asia except China & Russia, Russia, then China last (don't like certain aspects of that nation-state). This pecking order makes buying guitars easy, but makes buying nearly everything else burdensome. I know, TMI, but it's a contributing factor nudging to NOT buy an import.

Unless something truly compelling comes up, & considering all the thoughtful responses I've received, I've decided to do the hard thing: clean up & fix up this lathe, and see where the chips land. ;-)

THANK YOU ALL!!!

You sir are now traveling a dangerous road. It will lead to parking in the driveway when the garage fills with quality. Grease under your fingernails. Soon any moment you will think or say... "I can do that."

Enjoy the trip... its a good one..

Uh, I think I may have arrived already. All cars are in the driveway (just a Buell & some Treks in the garage). When I was a kid my father told me "a good man knows how to fix anything." I'm not sure if he was joking, but being young & dumb I took it to heart and that phrase rattles around in my brain & I REFUSE to not be able to fix broken stuff. This stubbornness results not only in greasy hands (I use it as an opportunity to explain to my customers how well-rounded of a renaissance man I am), but also lots of time & research. The benefit is the learning. At least that's what I tell myself to assuage my guilt at spending huge amounts of time making something I could probably buy for $2 somewhere (assuming it even exists, & I knew where & wanted to WAIT).

Nevertheless, THANK YOU for the kind & speedy well-wishes!

Back