What's new
What's new

Original SB Chucks / English Made Chucks

mcload

Hot Rolled
Hello crew; I hope everyone is well.
I just thought I'd take a break from the assembly on my 9A and pose a question about the chucks
I have in my inventory. To my surprise, 3 of the 4-jaw chucks are stamped "Made in England", and if
I'm reading it correctly, the casting on one reads February 5, 1948 (?). If so, then this is an excellent
original piece for my 1946 9A. These do not have a makers mark or mfg. company logo, just serial numbers.
All three have the spindle threads machined into the chuck.

These are in great condition as I usually keep them very clean, oiled, and each in its own heavy plastic bag.
(I was thinking about painting the backsides black but decided to keep them original. The red stuff on one of them
is wood dust). I would consider these to be better quality than normal, given their age.

What I thought was an original 3-jaw universal turns out to be one made by the Cushman Chuck Company of Hartford.
It is mounted to a backing plate for sake of spindle threads...and not too well, I might add....certainly not by
the factory.

The last is a newer and larger 3-jaw universal made in Poland (decades ago).It too is mounted to a backing plate.

So my question to the historians and researchers, what chucks were offered by SB back in the 40's and 50's, and/or
did they supply chucks (English) to customers? I don't know that SB was particularly in the chuck mfg business back then.

Many thanks. (I did first search the forums on this)

PMc

Those look really great!

Thank you sir! Quite frankly, I always figured they were Asian-made.
And I misspoke; there are only two of the English made chucks. I can't help but wonder
what kind of life the guy had that made these chucks back
in the forties. Too close to the end of WWII for me!! Must have been very
lean times! Maybe I could do some research on who was making them over in UK
during that time. But again, did SB furnish these? Don't know.

PMc

Thank you sir! Quite frankly, I always figured they were Asian-made.
And I misspoke; there are only two of the English made chucks. I can't help but wonder
what kind of life the guy had that made these chucks back
in the forties. Too close to the end of WWII for me!! Must have been very
lean times! Maybe I could do some research on who was making them over in UK
during that time. But again, did SB furnish these? Don't know.

PMc

They look nice and light compared to the two monsters that came with my lathe. The four jaw is stupid heavy and the back plate is welded on it's such a beast maybe 75 lbs? The three jaw is more manageable at about 73.5 lbs! lol

They look nice and light compared to the two monsters that came with my lathe. The four jaw is stupid heavy and the back plate is welded on it's such a beast maybe 75 lbs? The three jaw is more manageable at about 73.5 lbs! lol

Damn! I'd have to have an overheat hoist for a chuck that heavy, otherwise I'd be dropping it onto the bed
often.

The pic below is the chuck that usually stays on the machine. This one was made in Poland. I guess
it's the "newest" chuck in the lot. and heaviest. I can tell I took this photo just before I started taking the machine
apart as I can see disconnected wires in the background. Dirty machine!

PMc

View attachment 283177

Back