What's new
What's new

Picked up a SPV tap head for the SB

SWIGIN

Cast Iron
I found this SPV tension and compression tap head on ebay.

5etspk.jpg

My buddy has had one for years and he can't say enough good things about them. Over the past few years I have looked off and on for one of these but they are either priced way out of my hobby wallet or they have the wrong shank.

The tap collets are missing so I machined a Tap hand wrench to fit onto the heads bore. It turns out that the collets are imposable to find for this little tap head, at least I can't find anything.

Would any one here know anything about these Swedish made tap heads?

Thank you.

Edit.... I see there is a glare in my picture. The head is stamped SPV
SA-OE
NC

Hey Swigin,
Nice piece you got! I too had been looking for a compression tap head for some time and just about thinking of making one and spring loading it. A friend did offer me a a tapping head he had used on a drill press and no longer needed. Now I'm wondering if I could adapt ir to my tailstock.

You know what, I too have often wondered if those reversing tap heads would work if they were in a tail stock.

But I have never had the chance to play with any tap head other then a SPV.

SPV Tapping Head

Hey Swigin,
Nice piece you got! I too had been looking for a compression tap head for some time and just about thinking of making one and spring loading it. A friend did offer me a a tapping head he had used on a drill press and no longer needed. Now I'm wondering if I could adapt ir to my tailstock.

I know it is more than a few years late in reading this thread but, I just bought a SPV SA-1E tapping head and was wondering if you can tell me how to use it?

Back