pictures of new lathe and 2 gear questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pictures of new lathe and 2 gear questions

I fanally got the new 9A home. not running yet because ame cleaning and checking over everything. (Ran fine at sellers house.)
    Was happy with all the extras including the 4 jaw chuck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0003.jpg   dscf0004.jpg   dscf0005.jpg   dscf0009.jpg   dscf0010.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some more of the extras that came with the lathe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0011.jpg   dscf0012.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) If you look at the gear set up It doesnt seem right I think I am missing a (Stud?) gear alternative. 42 tooth?

2) On the head stock behaind the spindle with a gear at each end. Is this the "Back Gear"?
    If I engage it with the lever on the left I am unable to turn the chuck by hand it seems to lock things up.
    Is this normal and what is it for.

3) oh and as for the staeady rest I am assuming I need to replace the fingers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should also have a 40 tooth stud gear, but its only used for the top row of coarse threads on the gearbox.

To engage the back gears, you must also pull the pin on the right face of the bull gear, behind the chuck.

The steady will be fine for larger work.

allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may be missing the 42 tooth gear. I'm not all that familiar with the quick change gear box set-up because both of my 9's are Model C.

You've engaged the back gears by pulling the lever but you also need to pull out the lock pin which is located on the big gear just behind the chuck. Pulling the pin outward disengages the bull gear from the cone pulley so that the back gears can function. The back gears give you a significant speed reduction that is often used for threading operations and also for turning large diameter work.

You may or may not want to replace the steady rest fingers. Some of them came with just the steel fingers. Other versions have brass tips on them and you can make new ones which will have small ball bearings at the tips. The steel fingers will work well for most steel turning but would probably mar and aluminum bar if used against it. Since you seem to be relatively new at this, you can save worry about the steady rest fingers for later. Most turning jobs don't require it.

Have fun and be careful. The lathe is a friendly beast but it can hurt you if you don't pay attention to what you're doing!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The small gear on the reverser assembly, aka the "stud gear", should be a 20t. The gear that's attached to the gearbox input, aka the "screw gear", should be a 56t. The tooth count should be stamped into the side of the gear, near the teeth. Alluding to what Allan said, to cut threads more coarse than 8tpi, you'll need the 40t gear, which would replace the 20t. It usually resides next to the 56t when not being used, and is used as a spacer, along with a thick washer. It appears that yours has been replaced with a large spacer.

Paul

pa080297.jpg