What's new
What's new

Please help explain these oilers

Robert Shimko

Plastic
I have been putting oil in the top (spring cap) oilers and also have been keeping the Gits type reservoirs below filled up.
If I open the top oiler and the bottom Gits type, and add oil to the top, oil will fill up and drip out of the bottom Gits style. That oil is somewhat dirty looking. I have been oiling before every use.
The Gits oilers vary in the amount of oil that they contain, but there is always oil in them.
headstock oilers.jpg
I just want to make sure that I am oiling correctly. I have watched countless YouTube videos and have lots of the original 9" Workshop brochures and information, but none show this type of oiler.
I fugured that (within reason) that more oil is better than not enough, especially with these bronze bearings.
If anyone has experience with these types of oilers and could give me a few pointers, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

It's probably an add-on by some previous owner. Just add oil to the bottom Gits oilers. You say that the oil coming out is dirty. Have you drained them recently (should be done every year).

You say that there is always oil in the bottom Gits. That is good, as this is how it should be. The oil is fed to the spindle by wicks, then drains back down to the reservoir at the bottom - one of the few places on a SB lathe that isn't a flow thru oiling system. Just keep it topped off here.

Here's an oiling chart for a 9" lathe.

attachment.php

SLK001,
You may be right about them being an add on, but I'm not sure, they look factory installed to me. I know some of the history of where this lathe resided in it's previous service, and I don't think that owner would have added them.
It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has seen this configuration.
Thanks for the tip about draining the oil reserviors, I will do that and flush with oil.

Here is an oiling chart for later model 9" lathes. I know that the early (1934) 9" Workshop lathes had a Gits oiler at the very top of the spindle cap (I used to have one). IIRC, in 1936-7 timeframe, the 9" oiler moved to the horizontal Git oiler like is shown on your lathe. I've never seen a production lathe with both, for reasons that you have discovered.

attachment.php

P.S. Don't save this image, as it is really low resolution. I have a pdf that I had to screen cap that I can send you.

Back