What's new
What's new

Plugged Spindle oilers on an SB13?

TIGL

Plastic
Hi all, I hope I didn't miss a thread where this was covered in the search but the headstock on our 1953 SB13 is not consuming any oil and has not in the months we have ran it. I suspect the channels are plugged but I don't know how to test for that or fix it. I would love to not have to pull the headstock but it's not that terrible since it would allow me to install a seamless flat belt at the same time. (I have belt questions as well but they are less pressing)

TIA

Are you experiencing some type of problem that would suggest lack of lubrication? Is the spindle seezing up? Are the bearings getting hot?

My SB13 uses a very small amount of oil in several weeks. If your air vents and return channels are nice and clean and in good shape you shouldn't be seeing much oil use IMO.

Ted

Is the spindle still turning? If so, then it is getting the oil it needs. The spindle oiling system is the only non flow-through oiling system in your lathe. Just keep the oil cups full.

Do you see oil coming out where the spindle exits the headstock? If so, then your machine is getting all the oil it needs.

I would love to not have to pull the headstock but it's not that terrible since it would allow me to install a seamless flat belt at the same time.

And how would you do that? The gaps in the headstock where the belt goes to the lower cone pulley are closed. IIRC, there is no way a seamless belt can be installed, unless the seam is formed in-situ.

I have only added a total of maybe half the capacity of an oil cup in the year we've had the machine. I'd say the machine averages an hour or two of use per day so say 500hr of run time.

The bearings do not get noticeably warm but in general but the spindle seems like it should spin more easily than it does. I don't have a lot to compare it to though. If I use the vfd to stop the spindle (instead of untensioning the belt and leaving the motor running) the belt will frequally slip on restart until I apply some torque by hand to help overcome the static friction. If the motor is already running and I quickly drop the handle to retension the belt, it starts reliably so that may be more indicative of a belt problem. I will check tonight to see if oil comes out of the bottom of the headstock.

SLK001, you're right about the belt having to be threaded through the casting, I had a total brain fart and forgot about that. I would still like to replace the belt with something more stretch resistant with better grip like this from McMaster-Carr . I would prefer fiberglass or aramid reinforcement instead of cotton so I am still looking.

Thank you both for the quick replies and information on expected oil consumption, it is very much appreciated.

Your spindle should turn nice by hand... If it doesn't, then I would do some troubleshooting.

What oil are you using? I use Mobil #10 spindle oil which is the recommended oil. Other oils may introduce problems. So, make sure you're using the correct oil first.

If you are using Mobil #10 spindle oil, then I would check the bearing clearance. Use this South Bend document "Keeping your lathe in trim" found here:

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - Keep Your Lathe in Trim -- SB Bulletin H-4 | VintageMachinery.org

Your bearing may be too tight if someone in the past has played with them. If you do remove your spindle for inspection (which is what I would do if I had concerns), make sure you follow directions on removing the bearings because you can damage things if you do it incorrectly. The expanders are the concern. Some lathes will have a plate under the head stock cover that tells you how to do this. If not, reply back and I'll find the directions and post them. It's not a bid deal or time consuming process to pop out the spindle to check things as long as you do it correctly. And, while apart, you might want to replace the spring loaded wicks which are readily available for cheap on eBay. He's a good guy to deal with:

Capillary Oilers For South Bend Lathe Model 9 UMD, 10K, 10L, 13", 14-1/2", & 16" | eBay

Ted

That "keeping your lathe in trim" PDF tells you how to properly remove your spindle so you should be all set there. Easy Peezy!

Ted

I took the headstock off for cleaning and inspection as soon as I got this machine so it's not a huge deal to pull it again to make sure everything is working correctly. I will try it and take pictures which may help diagnose the issue.

Back