What's new
What's new

Posting Pictures on the South Bend Forum

SLK001

Stainless
I'm writing this tutorial to update the one written by Paula many, many years ago. The instructions in that tutorial (it is a sticky on this forum) are obsolete and needed to be updated. The instructions in Paula's post still work, but they are cumbersome and requires membership in an off-site image hoster. Images can now be hosted on THIS site, so that someone viewing a post many years from now will no longer get an "IMAGE NOT AVAILABLE" notice when viewing.

First off, notice the icon circled in red below:

PIC1.jpg

That is the INSERT IMAGE command icon, so click on that icon to bring up the LOAD IMAGE dialog popup. There are two tabs at the top, "From Computer" and "From URL". The "From URL" is used to load images from an off-site hoster. It is recommended that you do NOT use an off-site hosting site, for the reasons stated above. To load an image from your computer, click on the "From Computer" tab at the top. This is what the dialog popup will then look like, ready to upload an image file from your computer:

PIC2.jpg

Click on the "Chose File" box, which will popup a directory of YOUR computer. Simply navigate to your file location, double click on your file (notice the file types limits of .jpg, .jpeg, .png and .gif), then click on "Upload File(s)". Your file will then be uploaded and placed in your posting at the cursor position. It will appear as:
[A TTACH=CONFIG]123456[/A TTACH] (without the spaces in ATTACH, which has to be done to prevent a bogus attach command).

To see how your insertion looks, click on "Preview Post" at the bottom of your post dialog.

Thank you for yet another way.

Just tried the (the above) URL using methodology described by member EPA111's system where you use a "BB" URL - which is a file on your profile in the album section

Rejected:D

Here is that "BB"

attachment.php

And here is the same photo using the method in the opening post

DSC02436.jpg

SECOND METHOD (or, what John did above):

Click on your USERNAME in the upper right hand corner to access your profile.

On the left side, you'll find the catagory "ALBUMS". If there are currently no albums, create one. Call it "Pics that Post Full Size", then open the album.

There you will see the command "Upload Photos". Click on that and ANOTHER window will pop up with all the photos. You can now add photos to your album from all that you have previously uploaded, or upload new photos. If you are uploading new photos, then do so now.

Select the pic you want by clicking on its box, then drag it to the bottom window. Once done, click "DONE". That will take you back to your album, where if you are done loading photos, you MUST NOW CLICK "SAVE CHANGES", which will then load any pending photos into your album.

Once the photos are in your album, double click on the thumbnail of the photo you want in your post to pop it up full size. At the bottom, there is a window called "BB Code" with has the location of your photo on the PM site.

Click on the BB Code and just copy that into your post (this is what it will look like: [IMG ]https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=275418&d=1579032338[/IMG ], minus the extra spaces after IMG). Your photo will now appear in you post FULL SIZE!

Here is the result of all of this:

attachment.php

If you go the "albums" route do you run out of space at some point?

It looks like the albums are just collections of the photos that you have uploaded. When I grabbed a photo to put into my new album, it came from my previously posted photos. I doubt that any are actually duplicated, but I may be wrong. I don't know if there is a user space limit on the individual member.

The "thumbnail" where you want (as in opening post) no longer works for me - I have to fool around in "Go Advanced" to make a photo show up

Like so

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 76
Pictures

I cannot view the icons. Something has changed with my settings. I am using me iPhone exclusively. Should I try on my laptop?

On A Mac

Slightly different on a Mac, but not confusing.
By the way, I never try to upload a photo from iPhone, and I never log on to PM
from phone. Any photo I want to share, I take it with the phone then transfer it to the
Photos file on my desktop computer.
(Note, if you are choosing photos that have been shot with a bonafide 35mm digital camera, you will
probably have some size issues to deal with, depending on your camera settings. You might need
to do a test or two to see if you get the right size....neither too large nor too small).

So assuming the photo is in the computer's file, I might first take a look (preview) to see if
it needs some altering such as switching to vertical from horizontal, or cropping, or brightening. Low light
and poor focus are usually killers when it come to photos. If it looks like crap to you before posting, then it will look
like crap when posted.

I usually first write the response or message first, then, insert the photo files below the text.
This usually requires that I leave the cursor below my name/initials at the bottom. Otherwise, the files
show up at the very top of the message. I then have to copy/cut them, then paste them below my signify name.
Kinda a PITA.

But the steps I have to take are:
Must be logged on to PM
Click "Reply To Thread"
Click "Go Advanced"
Click "Manage Attachments"
Click "Add Files"
Click "Choose File" button
Select/highlight the photo from computer screen that pops up (only one photo)
Click "Choose" button at bottom right
Click "Upload" button
(The photo file will upload and a small icon will appear in section named "Attachments")
Click "Insert Online" button
Then click "Done" button.

The line of CODE will appear in the text. If it's in the right place, then okay.
If not, I usually cut and re-paste down at the bottom.
Note, if a photo's file size is too big, it won't upload.

Then click on PREVIEW to look your post over before submitting.
Make changes and then click on SUBMIT.
(Unless someone has responded, you can usually go in and edit your post)

So that's my 2 cents.
(Sounds like it's easier on a PC instead of a MAC)
(I've also seen some of the photos from TapaTalk app, and they are large indeed;
I know nothing about that app.)

PMc

View attachment 289622 View attachment 289626

mcload, I use a Mac too, but I cannot get large images to work any more. Here is an example that shows the largest size I can get to load:

IMG_0687.jpg

That image is 2013 x 3457 pixels (4MB on disc) according to Preview. However, when the file is added, this is what I see in the files upload manager (9.0KB)

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 3.10.00 PM.png

So forum software is causing the file to be compressed to 9.0KB when it is uploaded.

Here is another example:

This is a file that has been reduced to 597 x 800 pixels before uploading:

IMG_0685-3.jpg

On the mac, it is 549KB (which seems like a lot for a 597x800 picture).

When it is uploaded, same as above, the size is reduced to 10.2KB.

So something is just not working. All the steps I use are the same. I suspect that the file size for the 597x800 picture is a clue. There must be some metadata there that makes the file so large, and the forum software ends up stripping both the metadata and reducing the size. Any ideas???

Maybe this works:

In Preview, I chose export, and in the dialog box that popped up I selected Quality Least. That reduced the file size from 570K to 30K:

IMG_0685-3A.jpg

Yes! Much better.

How can photos be downloaded from an I phone?

Not quite sure I know what you mean or trying to do. Are you asking to download
you iPhone photos into another desktop computer or laptop? Or download directly for
posting to Practical Machinist?

If the latter, I don't know. Some people use an app called tappaTalk or something like that.

If transferring into a desktop, you need to ask that question to Google and find a video to watch.

----------------

Let me also mention that all of the photos my iPhone take are JPEG images, and they generally run
about 2.2 to 2.5 MB in size.

Looking at the image "information" for the attached photo, it shows it as being
42" width; 56" height; and 72 inches/inch resolution. This is just a default setting on my iPhone.
or
3024 pixels width; 4032 pixels Height; and 72 pixels/inch resolution.

PMc

View attachment 309004

I use google photos and pay them for the privilege so I feel they owe me a little something and can host my images for me. If you have an android phone and Chrome on your computer (haven't ever used Edge, IE, or Mac in years so can't attest to those browsers), this is the best way to go from phone camera to forum, though it is a bit complicated the first few times you do it.

Go to your picture on photos.google.com, right-click on the image and select "Copy image address" to add it to your cut/paste buffer.

Then just click the "insert image" icon on the toolbar above, select "From URL", uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" then paste into the "URL" box in the forum dialog (CTRL-V or right-click and "paste"). Works great and doesn't fill up your album box on the forum.

Example:

kpunYehDz-hLPWmwWEeBREFj00ZFRIzjRyulWUsd1_OwqlIxdjJV7Cvw1EsEOdRkrsFIqtx2VgJeuKrDtv8jlDY2khCoaj7zfRrvPMEbdNlK2YN1k1HjVSAIbraFdPjN86MpsPhOPrGscv5Au_BQVTVr0TlKau0fTzNAtgQbzlshk4R6MretpPWqhpComugJzJF2PRv9ce_xKxW4voVd1QwNSyUW-luG3oyYJDZ6E5YxikCeR2Du_dkJ-Ym6hkbbbF5gCcS__Xlb2TBjv2bYpg2m9WUphCJCRLDuK9m45H0nmjXmjg2YJ8wLOMugStlvgYrskXDrLw48F_f1OYLfesgS2JYpv0okkzIanhAkaLNJlk97esNUa_5valVuzGH7z9yAWBcpzWXUXUe-TePArP_O6TOVU0mTq00yxpuKNhghwZk-mfx8RlI6Tzj3qs48VHjTyiWpVxqItcnd2A_AwkLYemvWmPA6CVrZ1KJ8-RZ1FwFx6WPy_qDZ03vlji-K0sUAzoeeCGCqcH5Hapm3x8ZSy0mV9_C8lL-f7p5nbMqj9OLL0g4oZ8RWJZReyhM7QcPg3OoTTkna5rRLTzekBJcPhxm2ikx9Ex2VyL43PxXY86I-1jF5CsimSog8PikXtb946zjMLNMs56_12tBT647S8Ns8Dps02yTxEwF8cABAzcf9YnNbNCSkQViOQG4=w1107-h830-no

Looking for some help with uploading.
Have used the method of posting full size images to my profile - then copying the BB code in to my post so that I can get the larger image.
At issue is, the image itself is such low resolution - it's hard to read.
That's strange - because the image is a full page screen shot from my computer.
It seems that when I am uploading to PM - it is being compressed.
Can anyone help direct me on where I am going wrong?
Was not able to find the solution above in the thread as I read it.
Thanks!
-CM

Edit: here is an example of an image I created as a screen shot. It's sharp on my computer - but compressed to nearly illegible on the site.
attachment.php

Looking for some help with uploading.
Have used the method of posting full size images to my profile - then copying the BB code in to my post so that I can get the larger image.
At issue is, the image itself is such low resolution - it's hard to read.
That's strange - because the image is a full page screen shot from my computer.
It seems that when I am uploading to PM - it is being compressed.
Can anyone help direct me on where I am going wrong?
Was not able to find the solution above in the thread as I read it.
Thanks!
-CM

Edit: here is an example of an image I created as a screen shot. It's sharp on my computer - but compressed to nearly illegible on the site.
attachment.php

Just for grins, try to load an image from your desktop instead of those in your "profile" storage. Save an image on your desktop, and when prompted,
select the "Choose File" button, and choose and upload your test image. If it is a JPEG image, be sure to change it to .JPG in the title.
The site's system does not like JPEG and will compress it heavily.

Also, in regards to your current issue, it almost sounds like you are somehow trying to upload a tiny photo icon, not the actual image itself.

PMc

Back