What's new
What's new

potential owner of a South Bend 13

dceg

Plastic
I contacted South Bend web site now Grizzly. I was told to come here for assistance with part numbers to call back for availability. I have the S/N # 11478TKL14 I have not bought lathe yet and concerned about the carriage clutch and crossfeed gibs. What other info do I need to provide all of you to assist me. I would like to own this lathe but moving slow before I do.

The carriage clutch can be adjusted and the crossfeed gibs can be loosened (or tightened). Perhaps you can tell us what your concerns are.

What other info do we need? Practically everything.

There are parts available in the resale market for these lathes, so if the lathe is being sold for a good price with gobs of tooling, just buy it and start to learn about repairing and using it.

I'm not certain what you want to know, but I suspect you are looking for some technical help in evaluating the condition of the lathe. Please state your location and perhaps there is a forum member close to you that will assist you in this evaluation. There is a lot more to it than gibs and clutch inspection.

I would like to own this lathe but moving slow before I do.

If it is a good deal it will be gone shortly. Don't delay if you want the machne. If it is a fantastic deal it is already gone.

I was recently surprised that Grizzly stocked a taper attachment gib for a 10L so it wouldn't shock me if they have a gib for the crossfeed as well.

Clutch parts are usually easy to find on eBay if you need them.

$1850 with only one tool bar. Everyone here seems it’s relatively easy to find parts like gibs. I have the mechanical skill to repair but not to make my own parts. If a gib isn’t found that ruins the purchase of lathe for me. Someone else can enjoy. If I have a part number for crossfeed gib I was told to call back for availability. The S/N is all I have. I bought another lathe years ago and the gib was bad. Too old and never found a solution.

$1,850 is high unless it has a cam-lock spindle, hard bed, and cam style clutch. Then its a good deal even with a missing gib, presuming it isn't beaten all to pieces.

Iwananew10k helped me find my taper attachment gib. It was the standard part number preceded by SB for South Bend. I think the part number for your gib is PT221H1, so have grizzly check for that, or SBPT221H1.

Maybe Chad will see this thread and tell exactly how he was able to search Grizzly for SB parts.

Ok thankyou for all who replied. I'll do more research and keep looking for my best purchase.

Back