What's new
What's new

Pre-1910 Non Serial number 16” 6’ bed. Valuation?

Abreunig

Plastic
I just picked up a South Bend Lathe 16” 6’ bed. It has a 1 3/4 leather belt, on 1 3/4” pullys. It’s old. I have a ton of gears and attachments that obviously were purchased with or around the same time as the machine. Looking for possible paperwork that could help me further identify. Trying to figure out what it’s worth, it’s way too big for my projects. Lol thanks for any input

Pics will be needed....don't be put off if you can't get them to post right away....you are being robo-vetted...once the robot determines you are a real person you will be allowed to post pics.

I say this only halfway kidding..:skep:

Yes I am trying to figure that part out. Lol this is my first time on any forum... any idea on what I should focus the pictures on to help identify any slight differences?

Really just a good clear shot from the front showing the whole machine should be enough to identify it.

Other pics just for accessories.

I included a pic of the top front right bed rail just behind the V some minor scrapes and dings but no serial

I polished that area by hand and it looks too unorganized (like someone was using it to pound on something) they aren’t lined up or numerical looking they look like a few 1/4” round strikes. Also the other odd difference is the leather belt and pullys are 1 3/4” where most the serialized machines were 1, 11/2, or 2” Grizzley (who took all SBL records when they sold)has no record of a 1.75”

You know what... I think that is exactly the machine. The accessories are everything that is pictured below the lathe that we’re included with the machine. It’s in pretty good shape, even has the gear cover on the end.. that’s pretty awesome to see it in its original advertisement. Obviously it could use some love.. but overall it’s in great shape

Any idea on what it would typically sell for in its current condition? Or if there is anyone who may know? Thank you for your input.

The area you have photographed at the tailstock end near the leadscrew carrier bearing is where the serial number should be.Try using a small wire brush on that area. Sometimes the dirt completely obscures the stamping.A wire brush the size of a tooth brush has very fine wire.Might reveal something.

Over to the left of the second screw in it looks like a D. Those other Mark's look like the may be military. I agree with others here to clean that area up with a soft wire brush. Mine couldn't be seen before cleaning.

Better pic's of accessories. Looks like a steady rest on the floor.
A clear close up picture of the front and rear v way near the chuck.

20190224_094700.jpg
Here is the bed photo with modified resolution
I see a stamping above what looks like a t.
M and three characters.20190224_100652.jpg

I appreciate the photo work! I’ll get to do more cleaning on it this weekend, and try to post more pics and hopefully a serial number

be real careful...don't use a wire brush...it will just smear the characters.

the stampings on some of them can be real faint to begin with.

Back