What's new
What's new

putting together my own 10L stand

1yesca

Stainless
the legs were from an old kick press re-machined the top and bottom so there square knocked down an old butcher block work bench that the lathe came on as it was to deep and to long i think it will work just fine

001.jpg002.jpg

its getting there the lathe was already on this bench but it was to deep and to long so i trimmed it a bit and put the cast iron legs on it still need to counter bore the three front and back bolt holes and as far as a chip pan goes a car drive way oil drip pan may just do the trick

004.jpg

I would counterbore the holes on the top so that they were below the plane of the top, then cover the entire bench with some sheet steel. Even more elaborate would be to add angled edges to the sheet steel, forming a large chip pan for the entire lathe top. Gasket around the belt path on the headstock to contain all the oil that will get everywhere. Then use a smaller chip pan between the two bed supports.

I would counterbore the holes on the top so that they were below the plane of the top, then cover the entire bench with some sheet steel. Even more elaborate would be to add angled edges to the sheet steel, forming a large chip pan for the entire lathe top. Gasket around the belt path on the head stock to contain all the oil that will get everywhere. Then use a smaller chip pan between the two bed supports.
ya your right but being i have 3 other lathe that like this one i don't use at some point you have to draw a line but i did put a bead of silicone down at the head stock end before setting the bead assy. down and the thing i like about the drip pan is you can just pull it out and dump the chips in the trash can but i do thank you for the input

Why do you have so many lathes that you don't use?

its a sickness but i am getting better i had 16 drill presses now i am down to only 1 and a 1/2 after going to city collage machine shop for over 32 years and using there equipment dads ol mod 1957 logan and the south bend 10 [have two of them] and the clauseng 5900 [i think that's the mod no. its been in parts for over 15 years painted and ready to put back together ] ok so back on track after using these bigger gear headed lathe the others are like toys to me there's a automotive machine shop that lets me use there lathe and mill dam speaking of mills i have two bench masters with the horizontal attachments and a atlas horizontal mill. instead of the midnight basketball thing they wanted to do years ago they should have had midnight machine shop i swear i am not a hoarder

its getting closer need to install the spindle and tie up a few lose ends like a 90 on that conduit coming out of the motor a face board on the front of the table and a back splash on the rear of the table and a shelf below to store some tooling

001.jpg

Nice job #1, I like how you repurposed the legs and butcher block. How does it run? Jim

the motor and steep pulley run smooth but being i still need to install the spindle [going from 1-7/8 to 2-1/4]i don't know that yet but i am getting there . thanks for looking

Looking back I see that my keen sense of the obvious kicked in and i completely missed the lack of spindle, duh... Jim

that's ok jim its in there now just need to get a belt on it and then some fine tuning

ok i think that's about as good as its going to get i took an old serpentine belt cut it to 64" drilled five holes in it a sewed it together so i could run it i let it run for two hours bearings did not get hot and the oil level in the bearing cup stayed the same the rest of the machine works fine now all i need is to dig up a thread dial and get a belt and i believe its done oh i did need to set the under drive back 1" as the belt was hitting the race way i had an earlier post asking that before i started all this but got no reply but hey now i know

003.jpg004.jpg

Back