What's new
What's new

QC tool post for the SB9

Jerald MI.

Hot Rolled
Has anyone here made one and, if so, what type/style? Would you make the same again? Care to post a pic?

I have started the John Stevenson design, www.metalwebnews.com/howto/toolpost/toolpost.html
but with modifications;
I don't see the value of the second dovetail as I'd never store a holder there and if I have to rotate the toolblock, that will be as easy as removing a tool holder anyway. Opinions?

I intend to raise the toolblock above the center of the head to allow the full dovetail to be supported in the tool block.

Thank You, Jerald Ware

I personaly used an "A" size aloris and phase II holders on 9" SB's and like them.

The "second dovetail" on an typical QC is nice when you switch from facing to turning. You dont have to reset the tool post. It also comes in handy when you mount a booring bar. This is espcialy true on operator programiable machines where you avoid reseting the tool post. Not a big deal on a 9" SB, but something to think about.

The 9" SB is small and not particuarly powerfull, so almost any tool holder will stand up to it. Overkill on strenght is not necessary, unless you plan to upgrade to something more powerfull in the future

Back