What's new
What's new

QCGB, and Purple Power...?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Sheldon...not a SB...hope this'll fly because there's nowhere else it'll "fit".

Partial disassembly and cleanup of Sheldon Mobile Shop Lathe to get in service.

Disassembled/cleaned headstock end gears, reversing gears, moved to QCGB. After pulling the leadscrew, removed it and is in excellent condition. No broken teeth, not even an visible signs of wear on any of them :)

As with everything else so far, liberal wiping down with rags soaked in diesel fuel is peeling away decades of oily grime to reveal a decent machine.

Absent the very nice manual available when I tore down my SB to the last screw, I don't intend to go quite so far here. With around 70 parts to the QCGB (was able to score an original War Dept. parts/service manual)I'm not interested in tearing it apart. I've got it pretty well cleaned up, but...I'll admit I'd like to get those gears sparkling again "just because".

There are no felts, so I wondered about just throwing the whole shebang in a tub of purple power.
But logic tells me to be concerned about the rinsing after...

I'm thinking that a good hose-off with compressed air after rinsing, and then liberal oiling of every nook and cranny mightwork.

Bad idea?:scratchchin:

I would use kerosene personally. To my knowledge purple power is nasty on paint, no?

Back