What's new
What's new

A question about accuracy

tonnyandre09

Plastic
Hello chaps

I read somewhere that you could put a straight level across the first v way, put a flash light behind it and see if there is a gap. So I have just done that and sure enough, there is a gap in front of where the chuck would be and I could put a. 004 feeler gouge across in that gap. Is this something to be worried about? Sorry if this is a stupid question and perhaps a useless method of getting a sense of bed wear, but this is my first lathe and I have no idea.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

Good parts have been made with lathes in worse shape than yours. The effect of a worn bed like yours is trivial on your final product. Just start making things and don't worry about it.

that's about the same as mine. Haven't used it enough to tell yet, but mine turned out a lovely 2" long bushing the other day that was the same diameter at one end as the other, within my ability to measure it (tenth mic). Even if you working on longer stuff, I doubt it would be anything a lick with some fine wet'n'dry paper wouldn't fix.

The bigger issue is that you'll have to run the rear saddle clamp a little on the loose side close to the chuck or it'll be a bear to move the saddle when it's further up the bed.

Back